chloehatton

Get involved: Manchester RAG

Find out how you can take part in this year’s series of international RAG Challenges
Get involved: Manchester RAG
Photo: Manchester RAG

If you’re interested in getting involved with raising money for good causes during your time at university but don’t know where to start, look no further than Manchester RAG.

RAG are the fundraising side of the Student’s Union, and they raise money for charities across the UK and internationally. This is done through a range of on-campus events, as well as international challenges. This year, there are four international trips that you can take part in, and the best part is that it’s all for charity!

The ‘Amazon Adventure for Meningitis Now‘ will see you spend ten days in the Amazon Rainforest, experiencing the wildlife, and learning survival skills such as spearfishing, whilst raising money for Meningitis Now — the only charity dedicated to fighting meningitis in the UK.

Alternatively, you could take an eleven-day trip, including a visit to Kathmandu and trekking up to Base Camp on Mount Everest as part of the ‘Everest Base Camp trek for Action Against Hunger‘. This challenge will raise money for Action Against Hunger, a charity leading the global fight against hunger, saving the lives of children and working with their communities before and after disaster strikes.

If cycling is more your thing, the ‘London to Paris Cycle for Breast Cancer Now’ is a five day trip from London to Paris, culminating in a night in the French capital! Breast Cancer Now is the UK’s largest breast cancer research charity, dedicated to funding vital cancer research.

For the mountaineers, the ‘Three Peaks Trek for The Children’s Society’, will have you climb Britain’s three highest peaks (Scafell Pike, Snowdon, and Ben Nevis) back to back. The Children’s Society is a national charity that works with the country’s most vulnerable children and young people.

If you’re looking for something a little closer to home, why not take part in Jailbreak‘ later on in the year? The challenge involves seeing how far your team can get in thirty hours, but here’s the catch — you have to do it without spending any money.

If you’re interested in taking on a Challenge, or want to become a Challenge leader with RAG this year, search ‘Manchester RAG’ on Facebook and join the upcoming information sessions for the Challenges of your choice! If you’ve got any questions please message Manchester RAG on Facebook or email [email protected].

In conversation with the Feminist Collective: “It’s about making sure that no one’s voice goes unheard”

The Mancunion sat down with the University of Manchester’s Feminist Collective to talk about their society values, their plans for the year ahead, and intersectional feminism

Review: Tiramisu (UMDS)

Tiramisu, which was performed at the University of Manchester SU, is an excellently existential adaptation of Annie Baker’s The Antipodes

Review: Skies in the Cloud (UMDS)

Skies in the Cloud exhibits intimate and ethereal themes, showcasing the talent of UMDS students

Review: Stump (UMDS)

The Mancunion reviews Stum, performed by the University of Manchester Drama Society at The Brewers in Gay Village