alannahwilliams

“Psychedelic spectacle”- A review of SHAMBOLICS’ single ‘Love Collides’

From convicted vocals, to optimistic lyrics and unmatched showmanship, Alan Mcgee’s dreamy Scottish four-piece are yet to disappoint – ‘Love Collides’ is the latest track to be released by SHAMBOLICS
Photo: Alannah Williams

Brit-pop inspired psychedelic spectacle the SHAMBOLICS have only gone and done it again. Long awaited fan-favourite ‘Love Collides’ has finally been released as an official single and has been met with reems of praise from the success it has received.

The Shams consist of frontman Lewis Mcdonald, Drummer Jake Bain, Bassist Jordan McHatton and guitarist/ vocalist Darren Forbes. From convicted vocals, to optimistic lyrics and unmatched showmanship, Alan Mcgee’s dreamy Scottish four-piece are yet to disappoint.

‘Love Collides’ is the latest track to be released by the band – following on from its predecessor, ‘Sandra Speed’, this reworked version shares the story of two lovers on a collision course and the impending fallout of seismic proportions. The electrifying guitar solos, cascading lyrics and melancholy harmonies, echo styles used from the likes of The La’s and The View. This emotion infused track reminisces the early styles used by The Smith’s Morrissey.

The band kept their fan base alive over lockdown by releasing a number of covers to preoccupy themselves in uncertain times, including Fleetwood Mac’s ‘Everywhere’ and The Rolling Stones’ ‘Sympathy For The Devil’.

Much as this song entails two lovelorn individuals on the cusp of a break-up, the SHAMBOLICS are teetering on the precipice of stardom. With their upwards trajectory of a career an exponentially growing fanbase, it will not be long until everyone has heard the name of this prodigal band.

Hopefully, the band will announce some upcoming dates it won’t be too long before I can experience this song in a sold-out venue once again. ‘Mon the Shams!

Live at Leeds in the Park preview: Ringing in the north’s festival season

Live at Leeds returns once again for 2024 – find out all you need to know here!

Adrianne Lenker live in Manchester: Beauty in simplicity from a generational talent

Big Thief frontperson Adrianne Lenker brought her solo show to Castlefield’s Aviva Studios, gifting the audience simple snippets of grace and serenity

Bleachers live in Manchester: Fan-centric show from the studio to the stage

The Jack Antonoff-fronted six-piece, Bleachers, break the fourth wall at their Manchester O2 Ritz show equipped with theatric production but packed with earnest, artist to audience interactions

The Pleasure Dome present ‘Liminal Space’: A surprisingly varied punk rock powerhouse

Bristolian rockers The Pleasure Dome return with their newest EP ‘Liminal Space’ to demonstrate their musical versatility