emilyjohnston
21st March 2022

Ezra Collective release new single – ‘May the Funk Be With You’

The single ‘May the Funk Be With You’ is the jazz supergroup’s first of the year, we discuss their collaborators stylistic choices and upcoming live shows
Photo: ‘May the Funk be with you’ album artwork

After their exciting 2019 debut album, You Can’t Steal My Joy, Ezra Collective have returned with their first new track of 2022, ‘May the Funk Be With You’. It’s a smooth and melodic four and a half minutes, which can be described as ‘space-jazz’. Their debut featured electrifying and memorable collaborations with Loyle Carner, KOKOROKO, and Jorja Smith.

This makes it even more exciting to see what they’ll unleash in their new album. ‘May the funk be with you’ follows Ezra Collective’s grime infused single, More Than A Hustler; a collaboration with Novelist released in December 2021 and the band’s first new music in over a year.

Ezra Collective have also announced two small, warm up shows in Paris and London (which are now sold out) at the end of March. This is in addition to their performance at the BBC 6 Music Festival, which sold out in just 48 hours.

Ezra Collective © Marco Grey

The track

With a funky start, piano, trumpets and snare drums in tow, the instrumental track is so smooth. I adore how free flowing it is, with a syncopated bass which comes in a bit later. Ezra Collective proves you don’t need lyrics for a track to be interesting. The entire four minutes is both soothing, and captivating. The only songs which had lyrics in their debut album were ‘Reason in Disguise’ with Jorja Smith, and ‘What am I to do?’ with Loyle Carner (both well worth a listen).

I feel as though their new album will likely follow a similar suit and be almost entirely instrumental. Their collaborative piece with Grime MC and record producer Novelist, shows the jazz supergroup slightly branching out from the effortless and exuberant tracks we’ve heard from them before.

They have also released a fun visualizer music video, in conjunction with the track, showing the band cruising through space.

This new music signals an exciting 2022 for them. Hopefully, we’ll only see more tracks, touring and festival dates from them.

Listen to ‘May the funk be with you’ here!

Listen to their first single with Novelist, ‘More than a Hustler’ here

Sour Grapes Records’ ‘Meltchester’: Mancunion music community at its finest

Manchester’s own Sour Grapes Records brings Meltchester to town again at Projekts Skatepark

Alive! Festival 3.0: Students’ Union solstice takeover lets the light in

Alive! Festival took over the Students’ Union for the third time, with the student-run event expanding its horizons over five stages featuring bands, DJs, talks, comedy, gameshows, and a Silent Disco

Live at Leeds in the Park: New discoveries and festival favourites

Was it the indie mainstays or the peppering of pop that stole the show at 2024’s Live at Leeds? Find out what went down here

The Magic Gang live in Manchester: A magical farewell from the indie darlings

After announcing that they would be calling time on the band, Brighton indie darlings The Magic Gang bring an electrifying farewell set to Manchester’s New Century Hall