robertgyorgyi

Jsky: Célfie – A new force to be reckoned with

Manchester-based artist Jsky’s latest EP ‘Célfie’ is released on Valentines Day so prepare for the best
Photo: Jsky

You might be already familiar with the name Jsky. The Mancunian artist hosts The Dead Good Show on BBC Radio Manchester on Wednesdays and serves as a presenter on Gaydio, the largest radio station for the LGBTQ+ community globally. He was also featured as a body positive influencer on the innovative Channel 4 reality program Naked Beach.

Jsky’s latest album Célfie (a play on ‘selfie’ to express himself) is a fresh take on his sound that explores his different facets. The six-track EP,  with a total runtime of less than 20 minutes, offers a compact and cohesive journey through Jsky’s musical world. The collaboration with producers from around the world and gold disc-accredited sound engineer, Jocelin Francis, has resulted in a polished and well-crafted project.

Inspired by the music Jsky grew up listening to, Célfie is a mix of early 90s R&B, modern pop, funk, house, and afrobeat, making it both a fusion-like experience and accessible to a wide audience:

“There was music coming out of every room in our house when I was younger. My older brother would play a lot of hip hop (Wu Tang, DMX, Tupac) and my mum and dad loved Luther Vandross, Anita Baker, and Toni Braxton. The first cassettes I ever bought as a child were Pavarotti and Ace of Base though so I’ve always been eclectic.”

Each song on Célfie displays a unique side of Jsky, showcasing his versatility and depth as an artist. ‘Legs’ has become his most streamed solo release to date, while the follow-up single ‘2 Good’ is already generating a buzz with its gender-bending video. The latter is a message to rise above relationship drama and focus on what’s important, reminding listeners of their own strength.

Sadly, ‘Club’ is inspired by his time spent in Manchester’s Gay Village, where he encountered instances of racism that have had a lasting impact on him. The song delves into the complex issues surrounding access and discrimination within the LGBTQ+ community, with Jsky drawing on his own experiences to bring depth and nuance to the subject. Through ‘Club’, Jsky hopes to shed light on the ongoing challenges  facing members of the LGBTQ+ community, and to start a meaningful conversation around these important issues.

Jsky has already made a strong statement with his second EP release, building on the success of À La Mode, which was produced during lockdown and released in 2021. Fans and critics alike should expect to be impressed with this body of work, with Jsky’s attention to detail and musical vision poised to leave a lasting impact on the music world.

Célfie is out on February 14 2023 on every major platform. Pre-save on Apple Music here.

Make sure to check out and follow Jsky’s Instagram and Twitter (@jskychat).

Yard Act live in Manchester: An unforgettably ace headline at the O2 Apollo

Yard Act return to the Manchester stage with new album, ‘Where’s My Utopia?’, in a night of dance-party celebration