Hot Head – MTV

MTV has been a bastion of music television for years, why does Jonathan Ridge feel that it needs to readdress its priorities?
Hot Head – MTV

Music Television. Those two words will conjure up many images in your head, but the most obvious is that you are probably now imagining a music video. These, of course, range from the classic (And I will fight anyone who doesn’t believe ‘Coffee and TV’ is a classic by now), to the ludicrous (as in pretty much anything by Lady Gaga).

This is obvious, you’re thinking. But to others, Music Television is the unabbreviated name of the iconic channel, MTV. However, I’m pretty sure this contravenes the Trades Description Act, as I’m certain MTV doesn’t actually play music videos any more, just endless shows about 16 year-old Valley teens squawking at each other.

The original American channel has already dropped the words ‘music television’ from its name, presumably in anticipation of my lawsuit.

And now, those students lucky enough to have Sky, or those who correctly prioritise it over course books or food, will soon notice that MTV wont be found in the ‘Music’ section any more, but ‘Entertainment’. Leaving the question of how entertaining ‘My Super Sweet 16’ is to one side, it is a sad state of affairs for a channel that was once revolutionary.

But while once MTV trail-blazed the future of the music industry, it now leads the way in vacuous shit. We once tuned in and saw a channel that invented the Music Video, we now get ‘Brooke Knows Best’.

The problem is spreading, those who rely on free music channels will notice 4Music and Viva going the same way. I never thought I’d call TMF the golden era of anything, but at least it played bloody music videos.

Halsey vs Capitol Records: Are record labels the bad guys?

After kicking off on TikTok and Twitter, singer Halsey has continued the age-long saga of artist vs record label. But record labels aren’t always in the wrong – here’s why
Doctor Who finds it’s newest Time Lord

Doctor Who finds it’s newest Time Lord

Doctor Who finally welcomes Ncuti Gatwa as its first black doctor (if we conveniently forget the Timeless Child twist)
Irish Politics, not for the Feint hearted: Sinn Fein to lead Stormont for the first time in 100 years

Does Sinn Fein’s recent electoral victory secure the possibility of reunification for Ireland?
What’s on the menu this week? Calories

What’s on the menu this week? Calories

Adding calories to menus is more likely to exacerbate disordered eating rather than solve the UK obesity crisis