food-and-drink

A Good Friday

This Friday, instead of spending your limited funds in the Battered Cod to celebrate the start of the weekend, how about making England’s favourite food yourself?

It is cheaper and healthier to cook your own fish, not to mention that you’ll be free from the lingering fishy smell, which you won’t be able to get rid of until someone buys a can of Febreze.

Now I hear what you might be thinking and I’m ready for your onslaught: why then does everyone say that fish is good for you? Isn’t fish known as brain food? Doesn’t it contain omega 3 fatty acids that keep the heart healthy and help fight disease?

These are all true; nutritionists recommend that we do eat fish regularly, as with everything else, in moderation. The problem lies in the way that fish and chips shops prepare the fish, resulting in approximately 1,300 calories and a whopping 75 grams of fat in an average large portion of cod and chips. The amount of oil that the fish and chips are deep-fried in is responsible for this high calorie and fat content, which is then exacerbated by the fact that the portions are normally huge. Furthermore, if you say ‘yes please!’ to the ‘salt and vinegar?’ offered on top, all of a sudden your Friday night takeaway choice doesn’t look that appealing.

Sadly, the alternatives that fish and chips shops offer – battered sausage, meat pies – aren’t the epitome of healthy eating either. So why not try it yourself? Pick up one of the lesser loved fish varieties and make yourself a guilt-free fish dinner.

Union Assembly votes to keep police off campus

A motion severely limiting police presence on campus was passed by a large majority at the first Union Assembly
Mayor’s Question Time: Andy Burnham faces questions from Manchester students

On September 29 Andy Burnham, the Mayor of Greater Manchester, answered student’s questions at a Question Time event, with issues ranging from transport and housing to the monarchy and devolution
Exclusive: SU secures £360,000 in funding to help with cost-of-living crisis

Exclusive: The SU has announced £360,000 in funding from the University of Manchester to help students with the cost-of-living crisis
Greater Manchester Student Assembly petition for £1.50 cap on student bus fares

Five student unions in the Greater Manchester area, collectively called the Greater Manchester Student Assembly, have written to Andy Burnham, the Mayor of Greater Manchester, to petition him for a £1.50 cap on public transport for students.