Got an account? Use it, say NatWest

Student account holders with NatWest must make regular transactions and deposits to avoid losing the free overdraft service.

Customers who have student accounts with NatWest must now deposit £750 every six months or face charges on their overdrafts.

They will also have to make at least three purchases on card to prove that their student account is their main one.

NatWest initially told customers they would have to deposit at least £750 every three months, but relaxed the rule after complaints from customers.

Some students said they would not be able to make a deposit over the summer break because the last loan repayment of the academic year is in April.

The consumer support company Which? said it had put pressure on NatWest after a student complained on their forum.

The changes take effect from the 5th of October.

Union Assembly votes to keep police off campus

A motion severely limiting police presence on campus was passed by a large majority at the first Union Assembly
Mayor’s Question Time: Andy Burnham faces questions from Manchester students

On September 29 Andy Burnham, the Mayor of Greater Manchester, answered student’s questions at a Question Time event, with issues ranging from transport and housing to the monarchy and devolution
Exclusive: SU secures £360,000 in funding to help with cost-of-living crisis

Exclusive: The SU has announced £360,000 in funding from the University of Manchester to help students with the cost-of-living crisis
Greater Manchester Student Assembly petition for £1.50 cap on student bus fares

Five student unions in the Greater Manchester area, collectively called the Greater Manchester Student Assembly, have written to Andy Burnham, the Mayor of Greater Manchester, to petition him for a £1.50 cap on public transport for students.