roisin-dervish-okane
21st September 2011

Autumn/Winter 2011 Mood Boards: Homespun Heritage

Saddle up and head for the highlands, English countryside classics are huge this season.

Homage was paid in abundance to highland heroines and English eccentrics on the Autumn/Winter runways, so whether this season you’re an aspiring lord of the manor, or a whimsical highland harlot, take note and indulge yourself in the delights of the Great British countryside.

Christopher Kane and Henry Holland brought us handicraft touches such as blanket stitching and crochet, with Holland bringing his signature bold use of colour to the trend. The palette adopted by Rodarte was considerably more reserved but with stunning midi-length dresses in intricate cream crochet, complemented by fringed suede boots to create a sumptuous, folksy aesthetic, the result was equally as impressive. Moncler went all-out this season with a rather gauche, hunting-inspired collection complete with hound’s tooth wellingtons, tails and beagle puppies. However, the Autumn/Winter collection by Junya Watanabe brings more wearable inspiration for the boys in abundance: mismatched tweed, complemented by accents of brown velvet and accessorized with peaked caps and a simple desert boot.

When shopping the trend, keep in mind the key pieces: a well-fitted tweed hacking jacket or cosy duffle in a classic heritage fabric would be a perfect winter investment, as would warm autumnal knits, extra points for those of you who snuggle up in a polo neck- this season’s essential cut. A great pair of well-fitting trousers in a rustic-toned corduroy are a simple nod to the trend, just as chic on women as they as are classic on a man, especially when topped off with a pair of sturdy, buckled brogues, ideally in a warm brown leather.

Texture and layering are key to this look, exhibited beautifully by Fendi, where diverse print and texture were used in harmonizing hues, ensuring that the overall result was one of artfully haphazard elegance. Look out for tartan, plaid, hound’s tooth and Prince of Wales check, á la Yves Saint Laurent and throw in some touches of aged leather. For those of you after a more ladylike interpretation, look to Christian Dior’s collection for inspiration and throw in accents of crochet, fur (faux please- not only will it avoid you some dirty looks but cruelty-free fur is a big trend for this season) and a smattering of sequins for good measure.

So have fun, get scrambling for cheap, second-hand original pieces, and most importantly, remember not to fuss too much over the look, an air of effortlessness is the most crucial accessory for the haute-heritage aesthetic. After all, this autumn is all about celebrating our very own innate and oh-so-English eccentricity.

Roisin Dervish-O'Kane

Roisin Dervish-O’Kane

Former Fashion Editor (2011-2012).

The evolution of Coachella fashion: From glam to casual, has the fun faded?

Looking back at the biggest festival of the year and why it was such a disappointment for fashion fans

On screen style report #8: Samantha Jones

How would the original girlboss, Samantha Jones, tear up Manhattan in 2024? One showstopping look at a time…

The most iconic closets from TV and Film

Closets that never end, closets that pick your outfit for you, and closets controlled with a remote… ah the life of a fictional girlboss

Summer’s best defence: The top five sunscreen picks for your skincare

Shield your skin from harmful UV rays with our top five sunscreen picks; from lightweight formulas to advanced skincare benefits, these sunscreens offer protection and nourishment for summer-ready skin