joe-sandler-clarke
23rd September 2011

Chinese ‘hero’ pig cloned

Scientists in China have successfully cloned a pig who was dubbed a hero after surviving an eathquake

Scientists in China have successfully cloned a pig who was dubbed a hero after surviving for more than a month under a heap of rubble following an earthquake in 2008.

6 identical piglets have been produced using the DNA of the brave pig, who is known as Zhu Jiangqiang, or “Strong-Willed Pig”, in China.

Zhu became famous after surviving the 8.0 magnitude quake that killed more than 90,000 people in Sichuan province 3 years ago.

“The wonderful pig surprised us again,” said Du Yutao, the head of the cloning project, when speaking to the Sunday Morning Post.

The piglets, will be paired off and sent to a museum and a genetics institute.

Joe Sandler Clarke

Joe Sandler Clarke

Joe Sandler Clarke is the head of student media at the University of Manchester. He was longlisted for Amnesty International’s Student Human Rights Reporter of the Year in 2012. He was a News Editor at The Mancunion in the year 2011-12

Mayor’s Question Time: Andy Burnham faces questions from Manchester students

On September 29 Andy Burnham, the Mayor of Greater Manchester, answered student’s questions at a Question Time event, with issues ranging from transport and housing to the monarchy and devolution
Exclusive: SU secures £360,000 in funding to help with cost-of-living crisis

Exclusive: The SU has announced £360,000 in funding from the University of Manchester to help students with the cost-of-living crisis
Greater Manchester Student Assembly petition for £1.50 cap on student bus fares

Five student unions in the Greater Manchester area, collectively called the Greater Manchester Student Assembly, have written to Andy Burnham, the Mayor of Greater Manchester, to petition him for a £1.50 cap on public transport for students.
Oversubscription leads to quarter-million pound pay-out for Manchester freshers

Oversubscription has caused over 100 University of Manchester freshers to take £2500 pay-outs from the University to live in Liverpool as the demand for Halls of Residence exceeds the supply.