joshua-harris

All Hail King Kermode!

With the release of his book, ‘The Good, The Bad and The Multiplex’, we take a look at the UK’s foremost film critic: Mark Kermode
All Hail King Kermode!

In a sea of film critics and academics – not to mention a veritable ocean of dicks on the internet, who think that just because they can string enough syllables together to formulate an opinion on a film we must all want to listen – it can be hard to find someone whose cinematic opinions we can take as verbatim. Thankfully there is such a man, a mighty colossus who straddles this ocean of critical conflict and YouTube bullshit, with Michael Bay’s bloated corpse in one hand and a double bass in the other. An alumnus of Manchester and considered by The Screen Directory to be one of the top ten film critics of all time, Mark Kermode lived and breathed film from the day he was born. Here is a man who is not afraid to buck the trend (he loves the Twilight Saga!). Here is a man who isn’t afraid to look Willem Dafoe in the eye and tell him that he knows more about Willem Dafoe’s new film than Willem Dafoe because he’s seen it, whereas Willem Dafoe just acted in it. Here is a man who can end a ten minute rant about Sex and the City 2 with a rousing rendition of The Internationale! Indeed, Kermode is probably best known for his blustering rants, but don’t be fooled; beneath all that hot air he’s usually right!  His first book, It’s Only a Movie, was a fantastic mix of funny anecdotes and cinematic insights. His new book, The Good, The Bad and The Multiplex, looks to be more of the same, but with a bit more anger thrown in, as it focusses on the horrors modern cinemas. So all hail King Kermode! And remember, other opinions are available, even if they are wrong.

Cannes 2022: Triangle of Sadness and ridiculing the rich

Palme-d’Or-winning Triangle of Sadness is a wild, cynical satire ridiculing the rich in all possible ways.
Moon Knight: A predictable return to Marvel’s superhero formula

Oscar Isaac and Ethan Hawke shine in this disappointing first outing of one of Marvel’s most controversial characters
Review: The Kardashians

Review: The Kardashians

Keeping Up is long gone, it’s all about the Kardashian’s new show… The Kardashians! But with it only being available on Disney+, is it worth the subscription?
Resurgence of the witch: The modern feminist icon?

From Rosemary’s Baby to Midsommar, how has the figure of the witch changed in cinema and beyond?