joshua-harris

All Hail King Kermode!

With the release of his book, ‘The Good, The Bad and The Multiplex’, we take a look at the UK’s foremost film critic: Mark Kermode

In a sea of film critics and academics – not to mention a veritable ocean of dicks on the internet, who think that just because they can string enough syllables together to formulate an opinion on a film we must all want to listen – it can be hard to find someone whose cinematic opinions we can take as verbatim. Thankfully there is such a man, a mighty colossus who straddles this ocean of critical conflict and YouTube bullshit, with Michael Bay’s bloated corpse in one hand and a double bass in the other. An alumnus of Manchester and considered by The Screen Directory to be one of the top ten film critics of all time, Mark Kermode lived and breathed film from the day he was born. Here is a man who is not afraid to buck the trend (he loves the Twilight Saga!). Here is a man who isn’t afraid to look Willem Dafoe in the eye and tell him that he knows more about Willem Dafoe’s new film than Willem Dafoe because he’s seen it, whereas Willem Dafoe just acted in it. Here is a man who can end a ten minute rant about Sex and the City 2 with a rousing rendition of The Internationale! Indeed, Kermode is probably best known for his blustering rants, but don’t be fooled; beneath all that hot air he’s usually right!  His first book, It’s Only a Movie, was a fantastic mix of funny anecdotes and cinematic insights. His new book, The Good, The Bad and The Multiplex, looks to be more of the same, but with a bit more anger thrown in, as it focusses on the horrors modern cinemas. So all hail King Kermode! And remember, other opinions are available, even if they are wrong.

Eyes Wide Shut 25 years on: A feast for the eyes, a nightmare for the mind

As part of Cultplex’s on-going Movie Church series, fans of Stanley Kubrick’s Eyes Wide Shut celebrate his beautifully nightmare-ish film 25 years on

Mothers’ Instinct review: How far will you go to protect your family?

Academy Award Winners Anne Hathaway and Jessica Chastain have a 1960s face-off in this eerie, twisted game of cat-and-mouse

My formative film: Sprinkles of Stardust can be seen everywhere

How Ian McKellan’s narration, Robert De Niro in drag, and Mark Strong in a matted wig makes Stardust the perfect fantasy film

Jurassic Park: T-Rexcellent or bit of a Dino-snore?

Does Jurassic Park still hold up or would Spielberg have been better off leaving the dinosaurs extinct?