tom-hickman

Live: Metronomy @ Academy 2

If the thought of who the coolest man on the planet is has ever crossed your mind, step this way and let Tom Hickman help you out.

Metronomy
Academy 2
26th September

5 stars

After endlessly touring the continent’s finest festivals for what seems like an age, Metronomy tonight revealed what a well-oiled machine they are. The band finally gained the recognition they deserve via their nomination for this year’s Mercury Prize and The English Riviera is tonight showcased in all its definitive glory. A strong candidate for album of the year, the entry riff from every track is greeted by a chorus of cheers, while lead tracks ‘The Bay’ and ‘The Look’ nearly bring the house down. What’s more, the group’s notorious light show has moved on from what were somewhat humble beginnings to now being an integral part of the performance.

Having sold out Academy 3 within days of tickets going on sale, this gig was sure to be moved to it’s larger neighbour, and Academy 2 proved to be an ideal location. With the place full to bursting, the foursome provide a show with enough energy to power a small country. Nevertheless, Metronomy are dressed to the hilt and an air of cool emanates from them throughout the entire evening.

The constant 80s pop shuffle of the crowd is only broken by a mass of bodies storming towards the stage upon the playing of first album classic ‘You Could Easily Have Me’. My only gripe could possibly be that this was indeed the only offering from Pip Paine (Pay The £5000 That You Owe). But that does not detract in any way from the overall spectacle, instantly danceable numbers from Nights Out litter the setlist, and the evening is drawn to a close perfectly by an energetic rendition of ‘Radio Ladio’.

It is true; Glastonbury exposed the south-coast crooners to possibly not be the desired material for the Pyramid Stage, so obviously questions could persist about their ability to fill larger venues. Nevertheless, after tonight the only issues that come to my mind are:

Are Metronomy the most tight-knit performers around? Is ‘Heartbreaker’ the most perfectly layered pop song? Is bassist Gbenga Adelekan the coolest man on the planet?

By the way, the answer to all the questions above is yes. Bloody brilliant.

Tom Hickman

Tom Hickman

Music Editor.