hugo-nicholson

Outlook Festival 2011

Find out what you missed out on in our most exotic of festival reviews.

Outlook Festival

Fort Punta Christo, Pula, Croatia

1st – 4th September

Standout Act:

With over 800 artists booked over the 4 days of the festival, choosing one standout act is an extremely difficult task. Everyone had a favourite, and for me this was Jah Shaka, of the South East London-based Jah Shaka Soundsytem. His 6-hour set on the final night kept people going long after they would otherwise have been able to; it was nothing short of phenomenal.

Biggest Flop

This title must surely go to Skream; perhaps the only impressive thing about his appearances on either the Main Stage or the boat party, which he was supposed to be hosting, was his ability to drink. During the latter, this skill rendered him unable to play at all, while on the Main Stage it led to him being forcibly removed, numerous times.

Surprise Package

For those that hadnˈt heard of them, Manchesterˈs very own Broke ˈNˈ English (who run their own night, Ballin’ On A Budget, at Mint Lounge) played one of the most surprisingly good sets at Outlook this year. Whether you’d heard of them or not, they were sublime.

Atmosphere

Despite having to queue for almost everything, the official campsite, overlooking the clear and bright Adriatic Sea, was a beautiful place to be during the day, with various performers playing sets on the beach from sunrise to sunset. The abandoned fort, venue for the late music (6pm to 6am), was indescribable, and the individual venues in and around the fort were all superb in their own right.

Worth the money?

Completely.

Fat White Family’s Lias Saoudi is circling around the Post-Punk cul-de-sac

Now that Fat White family have returned with ‘Forgiveness Is Yours’, lead-singer Lias Saoudi has a lot more to say about post-punk, lyricism, and being a Londoner

Peter Bibby – Drama King: A tragic and unpredictable opus

Infusing the classic songwriting of Dylan and Springsteen with Australian wit and dive bar narratives, Peter Bibby’s latest album constantly surprises

Tenacious D live in Manchester: The metal bring the fire

Jack Black’s rock-comedy project Tenacious D stopped off in Manchester on their ‘Spicy Meatball’ tour, performing to 20,000 fans at the AO Arena

Sour Grapes Records’ ‘Meltchester’: Mancunion music community at its finest

Manchester’s own Sour Grapes Records brings Meltchester to town again at Projekts Skatepark