lifestyle

Student Action

Feeling inspired reading about the volunteering experiences of others? Want some of that warm fuzzy feeling for yourself? Get involved with Student Action.
Volunteering is often seen as something for “do-gooders” or something that will “look good on your C.V.” While the latter is partly true, ask most people who do voluntary work about its benefits and they will express its true benefits.

Volunteering gives you the chance to use your own skills to help people and/or the community, whilst forming friendships with people you would not normally meet. These friendships can be lifelong and really enhance YOUR life as well as the lives of those you help.

Student Action is a great place to volunteer, as it is volunteering tailored to your needs.

You simply sign up to help out on one of our weekly projects as and when you want to. You don’t have to commit on a regular basis, so if you have a busy period, we won’t have any expectations of you. Our opportunities cover a wide spectrum of areas.
Outreach project

You can help learning disabled adults by taking them out and helping them to socialize and do things they wouldn’t normally have the opportunity to do (such as go bowling!). There are projects aimed at offering help, advice, food and drink to the many homeless people in Manchester, who often through no fault of their own, have been forgotten by society in general.

Halloween elderly party 2010

You can help local kids from homeless refuges giving them the opportunity to do “normal” kids activities, or help local elderly residents by spending time with them, helping them do their shopping or even throwing a party for them! With other opportunities available on environmental, refugee, after-school club, women’s’ refuge projects, the number of opportunities available is amazing.

Moreover, if we don’t do run a project that you feel there’s a need for, we’ll help you set one up. What more could you ask for!

To find out more and get involved head over to the Student Action website: www.umsu.manchester.ac.uk/action/blog or e mail: [email protected]

Did you know that there’s a spa under Simon Building

Rumour has it that deep in the depths of UoM lies a hidden spa. Why? We cannot say. But should you embark on an adventure to find it? Absolutely.

Three years at university: What have I learnt?

As the academic year draws to a close, here are some of the more unexpected lessons I have learnt from three years at Manchester University

How do we tackle the student loneliness crisis?

At a university where 45,000 students cross paths every day, it should be impossible to feel lonely

Keeping on top of the news cycle: How to stay up to date as a student

Being a student can mean an incredibly busy schedule, so how can you make time to find out what’s happening in the world?