michael-beer

Live: Calvin Harris @ Warehouse Project

Japanese Popstars, Felix da Housecat and Calvin Harris prove once again why WHP is so damn popular.

Calvin Harris
Warehouse Project

4 stars

The fourth weekend of the Warehouse Projects final year at Store Street kicked off with a sold-out night featuring the likes of the Japanese Popstars, Felix da Housecat and the main attraction, Calvin Harris.

We arrived at 11pm to find that the venue was already bustling with energy and that we were just in time to catch the intro for the Japanese Popstars set.  Once the rather long atmospheric intro had faded and this act introduced us to their pop infused house everybody was up and moving, the standards had been set for the rest of the night.

Not that this fazed Calvin Harris who ignited the overflowing crowd with his opening track ‘I’m Not Alone’.  Furthermore, ‘Bounce’ and ‘Feel So Close’ deserve to be credited as the tracks of his own creation that generated the biggest reaction.  Further mixes of artists such as Fatboy Slim and Example, not forgetting to mention an incredible and unexpected remix of the Chilli Peppers ‘By The Way’, kept the night fresh and the crowd dancing in whatever tight space they had squeezed themselves into.

Unluckily for Felix da Housecat, it seemed the majority of the crowd were already satisfied with the night so far and headed for the exits.  Taking the electric atmosphere with them, and leaving Felix’s combination of house, minimal and techno to fall upon a rather depleted audience.  Whilst there was still a decent crowd right up until the end, the night had already peaked.

It is also necessary to congratulate the Juicy and the Now Wave DJs for making Room 2 a serious contender, dropping classic hip-hop tracks all night for those who thought the main room was too much, or were just enticed in on their way back from the toilets.

Calvin Harris – Feel So Close (live)

Live at Leeds in the Park preview: Ringing in the north’s festival season

Live at Leeds returns once again for 2024 – find out all you need to know here!

Adrianne Lenker live in Manchester: Beauty in simplicity from a generational talent

Big Thief frontperson Adrianne Lenker brought her solo show to Castlefield’s Aviva Studios, gifting the audience simple snippets of grace and serenity

Bleachers live in Manchester: Fan-centric show from the studio to the stage

The Jack Antonoff-fronted six-piece, Bleachers, break the fourth wall at their Manchester O2 Ritz show equipped with theatric production but packed with earnest, artist to audience interactions

The Pleasure Dome present ‘Liminal Space’: A surprisingly varied punk rock powerhouse

Bristolian rockers The Pleasure Dome return with their newest EP ‘Liminal Space’ to demonstrate their musical versatility