paddy-madden

Fergie’s Best XI.

Sports Editor Patrick Madden picks his ultimate Manchester United team under the reign of Sir Alex Ferguson.
Fergie’s Best XI.

Goalkeeper – Peter Schmeichel – The Great Dane. Signed in 1991 for £530,000 – the ‘Bargain of the Century’.

Right back – Gary Neville – ‘Red Nev’. Part of the ‘Class of ‘92’

Centre-half – Rio Ferdinand – Made shackling the world’s best look effortless. Unbeatable at his peak.

Centre-half – Jaap Stam – Defensive rock on which United’s treble success was built.

Left back – Denis Irwin – Ever dependable penalty taking full-back.

Right Midfield – Cristiano Ronaldo – Gave a flummoxed Gary Neville the run around in a pre-season friendly. Soon became League’s best.

Central Midfield – Paul Scholes – The best and most gifted midfielder of his generation.

Central Midfield – Roy Keane (c) – United’s talisman and inspiration – his performance against Juventus in the 1999 European Cup second-leg was one of the greatest.

Left Midfield- Ryan Giggs – The boy wonder is now Old Trafford’s elder statesman and the most decorated player in domestic football.

Centre Forward- Ruud Van Nistelrooy – 150 goals in 220 appearances. The club’s highest goal scorer in Europe.

Centre Forward – Eric Cantona – A rebellious, enigmatic, genius. Known simply as ‘God’.

Substitutes – Edwin Van Der Sar, Nemanja Vidic, Patrice Evra, Bryan Robson, David Beckham, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, Andy Cole.

Paddy Madden

Paddy Madden

Former sports editor (2011-2012).

Season review for local clubs

Season review for local clubs

A review of the 2021/22 campaign for clubs based in Greater Manchester
One Week Wonders: The Worst Tennis World No. 1s

Inspired by Medvedev’s limited tenure at the number one spot – who else has hold the position for a few short weeks?
Billionaire business owners: What are they doing to football?

How has a working class sport become plagued by greed? 
The issue of women’s pay in sport: The fight for fairness in a male dominated field

These are signs that women’s sport is going in the right direction, but do not be fooled. There is still plenty of work to do.