ruth-dacey
23rd February 2012

Manchester Netball unlucky not to snatch all 3 points against unsporting UCLAN

University of Manchester- 49 University of Central Lancashire- 49

An enthralling game of netball saw Manchester Women’s Netball 2nds come away with a well deserved point against UCLAN 1st in the crucial relegation tussle in the BUCS Northern 1A division.

Tensions were running high due to the importance of the game; as victory for UCLAN would secure their place above the relegation drop zone whilst cementing Manchester to the foot of the table. Added to this was the controversy that broke out before the referee’s whistle had even been blown when UCLAN stated that they would be ‘playing under protest.’ (The result will go before a BUCS panel on the grounds that Manchester failed to reach all match specifications.) One of their complaints logged was that the court did not match up to the required specifications as the basket ball nets ‘protruded’ onto the court. However this specific ‘issue’ has never been brought into question by any other team in the league before and the court has been used in several higher division premiership netball matches. If UCLAN were trying to unnerve and unsettle Manchester before the kick off this failed to work as Coach Chrissy Foster and Captain Jenni Parcell took the underhand tactics in their stride and made sure that Manchester were ready and focused from the off.

With Coach Foster urging her players on from the side Manchester started out with a fiercely attacking strategy. Quality linking play early on set up the on form Wales U19 player- Zachary (GS) who was clinical in front of the net. Manchester’s superb passing and movement was causing UCLAN early problems as they just weren’t able to keep up with the pace. They were particularly inefficient at dealing with the neat triangle play set up between Parcell (C), Mitchell (GA) and Zachary (GS), which meant that they were second to almost every ball. In front of the net both Mitchell and Zachary held their nerve and helped establish an excellent 16-11 lead going into the end of the first quarter.

UCLAN started the 2nd quarter with more purpose, desperately trying to supply their two shooters with opportunities but Manchester’s defence was holding well. Both Johnson (WD) and Timothy (GK) made several key interceptions and blocks, making sure that UCLAN were pressurised on the ball at all times. In attack Manchester continued to look impressive and Parcell utilized the underhand throw in the D area to provide Zachary with several opportunities which she slotted away. UCLAN’s centre –Parkinson, clearly was not happy with how things were going and began to take control for her team with good movement and passing. Manchester began to make a few errors whilst on the defensive and UCLAN’s GA and GS managed to claw some goals back seeing them head into half time trailing 30-23.

The 3rd quarter saw Manchester begin with solid defensive play. Both Palmer (GD) and Timothy harried and harassed UCLAN’S GA and GS in front of the target causing them into errors and wayward shots. Zachary and Mitchell were still performing excellently in attack; however UCLAN tightened their own defence. May (WA) and Parcell (C) began to find it harder to deliver the decisive passes which had carved out so many shooting opportunities for the attackers in the first and second quarters. The game did then however open up more with end to end action and both sides taking the chances that fell to them resulting in Manchester’s lead being slimmed to 41-36.
Such a fast paced game was taking its toll on the players from both sides and the final quarter saw passes flying here there and everywhere. Possession began to become a little scrappy from Manchester and UCLAN capitalized on this by scoring several early goals narrowing the gap to a nail biting finish. Zachary remained excellent in front of goal and managed to calm Manchester slightly, however passes were still going awry as the more spectacular ball was being opted for instead of the ‘easy play.’ With the clock ticking down UCLAN suddenly weren’t missing a shot with long range efforts luckily going in and almost with the last play of the game they pulled level to finish the game 49-49. As the whistle rang out exhausted Manchester players were left disappointed with the final result as they truly deserved all three points on their performance.
In the games aftermath Manchester Captain and player of the match Jenni Parcell after the game who was visibly delighted with her team’s performance. “We were the under dogs coming into this game, after losing to them earlier in the season but today has been our best performance- I’m very proud of them all.” And when asked about shedding light on UCLAN’s petty ‘playing under protest’ she remarked that “it did shock us but it didn’t affect our performance- the girls handled it well.” Parcell is optimistic for future games “heads are now up, and we are back to full strength with players coming back from injury.” A tough next match against Liverpool John Moores 1st awaits them but Manchester can take much confidence with them into the game after their excellent performance. Now back to full strength after an injury littered first semester hopefully they will rocket up the table away from the danger zone.