lily-howes

Blind date: Tom and Tessa

Will it be top marks all round for Tom and Tessa on this week’s blind date?

Tom, Third year, Philosophy

What were your expectations for the evening?

To be honest I didn’t know what to expect I’m not really the type of lad who goes on dates, more the type who needs to be pissed just to have the balls to approach a girl

First impressions?

She was smaller than me which is great considering I’m a short arse. Also she had brilliant hair

What did you talk about?

The conversation was quite high brow, talking about the nature of morality and then it sort of sunk into talking about Take Me Out and Sun, Sex and Suspicious Parents

Best thing about them?

She had a mint sense of humour

What did you eat?

I had sausage and mash and a milkshake for dessert

Any awkwardness?

Not really.

How did you part ways?

Booked a room at the Palace Hotel and the rest is history…

Out of 10?

8

Would you see them again?

Put it this way, can you hear wedding bells?

Tessa, Social Sciences PhD student

Good food and good conversation with a postgraduate student, or someone at least 25

First impressions?

Not a postgrad! But polite and friendly all the same

What did you talk about?

All sorts – including Take Me Out, out-of-touch posh students, Nutella (legal crack cocaine), Leeds and Northern Soul

Best thing about them?

He is a Geordie – it doesn’t get much better than that!

What did you eat?

The steak and the sticky toffee pudding which was amazing

Any awkwardness?

Not really, although my main crush turned up with two other girls, but hopefully he now thinks I am well in demand and will do something about it

How did you part ways?

Well, he had no other plans and my best mate was on a date of her own, so we booked into the Palace down the road – waste not, want not and all that… I went on to ‘Overnight Celebrity’ at Suede Nightclub with a spring in my step

Out of 10?

7

Would you see them again?

I’m sure I’ll see him knocking around the Arthur Lewis building one of these days…

Tom and Tessa ate at The Deaf Institute, Grosvenor Street, Manchester. Thanks to the guys down at Grosvenor Street for getting involved. To check out their menu, gig listings and have a look at what club nights are coming up visit their website www.thedeafinstitute.co.uk

To sign up for blind date please e mail your name, year of study and course to[email protected] with ‘blind date’ as the subject

Lily Howes

Lily Howes

Former Lifestyle Editor at The Mancunion (2011-2012). English Literature and Drama graduate. Originally from Croydon, South London. If you don’t fancy being hounded to sign up for Blind Date then do avoid me at all costs (however if you are interested in taking part then e mail [email protected])

Houseplant heaven: The best plants to brighten up your student home

With the RHS Urban Show coming to Manchester, we’ve found some of the best houseplants to enhance your student accommodation

Why is everybody obsessed with minimalism?

The minimalist way of life is everywhere – what can we learn when its meaning is so often repackaged as another consumer trend?

How to have a routine when you have so few contact hours

If you find yourself with few in-person contact hours and facing challenges in establishing a routine, here are some tips to enhance your daily productivity