katie-shepherd

Live: The Futureheads @ RNCM

Full of theatrics and refreshing anecdotes, The Futureheads have thrown off the necessity to fit into the indie scene.

The Futureheads
RNCM
13 April
5 stars

“In a moment of insanity, we decided to make this album.” That’s what vocalist Barry Hyde of The Futureheads confessed in regards to the band’s entirely a cappella release Rant on the last night of their tour at Manchester’s RNCM. After playing together for 11 years, the four-man line up decided to release the album based on their admittedly intense desire to cover Kelis’ dance hit ‘Acapella’. It was a brave move, boasting a cover of Black Eyed Peas’ ‘Meet Me Halfway’ and sea shanty ‘Hanging Johnny’. How many indie bands are recording sea shanties these days? Many critics have considered the guys’ approach a novelty and I myself wasn’t too sure it was the best move.

Then I saw their live performance. I have to say; last Friday was the best headlining set I have seen from any band in the past year. Their on-stage chat was as captivating as their harmonizing. Full of theatrics and refreshing anecdotes, The Futureheads have thrown off the necessity to fit into the indie scene, embracing whatever music speaks to them and leaving the audience in utter captivation. Familiar old favourites were played acoustically and received with warmth.

Opening act, The Cornshed Sisters as well as Manchester’s own Northern Quarter Boys Choir joined The Futureheads on stage towards the end of the set. Strings broke, guitar straps snapped, and the banjo took five minutes to tune, but it only added to the personality of the performance. Before leaving the stage, flamboyant Hyde invited the entire audience to the Prince night at The Deaf Institute afterwards to celebrate.

As an album, Rant was a ludicrous decision, but the live performance made perfect sense. I’m certain anyone lucky enough to have caught the tour will be talking about it for a long time.

The Futureheads – The Old Dun Cow

Live Review: Aitch at Club Academy

Live Review: Aitch at Club Academy

Mancunian rapper Aitch played an intimate album launch show, combining old favourites and new numbers for a sold out crowd.
Leeds Festival 2022: Women Rule Most Diverse Line-Up To Date

Leeds Festival invited six headliners: Arctic Monkeys, The 1975, Dave, Megan Thee Stallion, Halsey, and Bring Me The Horizon to perform to sold out crowds over the August bank holiday weekend.
All Points East 2022: Disclosure bring the dance party to London

The final weekend of All Points East brought out the sequins and glitter, resulting in a huge dance party in East London.
All Points East 2022: Tame Impala let down by shoddy sound

Headlining All Points East, Tame Impala were let down by shoddy sound despite fantastic performances from Montell Fish and FKJ.