jon-taylor
2nd May 2012

Live: The Dandy Warhols @ Academy 2

You’d be forgiven for thinking that the majority of this gig was spent waiting for ‘that song’.

The Dandy Warhols
Academy 2
20 April
3 stars

Having been together as a band for the best part of 20 years, yet only having- let’s be honest- one real ‘hit’ to show for it, you could be forgiven for thinking that The Dandy Warhols’ gig at Academy 2 might have consisted of a group of 30-somethings stood nonchalantly at the back, waiting for them to play ‘that song.’

And, if I’m being honest, it kind of was. Thankfully, however, over the years The Dandy’s have managed to build themselves a fairly loyal cult following, and although their set could be described as anything but energetic, an Academy 2 packed out with die hard fans stood, albeit as still as a mill pond, and appreciated a mammoth 2-hour, career-spanning set from the Portland band.

It soon became clear though, that those who weren’t avid fans were at some stages bored to tears, as towards the back of the venue where I was stood- curse those Student Union bar queues- even some of the more well known tracks like ‘We Used to be Friends’ drew, at best, half-hearted applause from many. The fact that I felt self-conscious about singing along to ‘The Last High,’ as everyone around me could hear me over Courtney Taylor-Taylor’s distorted vocals, also speaks volumes about a large proportion of the crowd.

However, those closer to the front appeared to be enjoying the show, and when ‘that song’ finally came on- ‘Bohemian Like You,’ in case you were living under a rock during the early Noughties- some fans even felt compelled to make the most of 4/20 and light up.

1998 single ‘Boys Better’ capped off a solid performance from The Dandy’s and, although parts of the crowd left disappointed, with the loyal fanbase the band have it’s unlikely they’ll be losing too much sleep over it.

The Dandy Warhols – Bohemian Like You

Live at Leeds in the Park preview: Ringing in the north’s festival season

Live at Leeds returns once again for 2024 – find out all you need to know here!

Adrianne Lenker live in Manchester: Beauty in simplicity from a generational talent

Big Thief frontperson Adrianne Lenker brought her solo show to Castlefield’s Aviva Studios, gifting the audience simple snippets of grace and serenity

Bleachers live in Manchester: Fan-centric show from the studio to the stage

The Jack Antonoff-fronted six-piece, Bleachers, break the fourth wall at their Manchester O2 Ritz show equipped with theatric production but packed with earnest, artist to audience interactions

The Pleasure Dome present ‘Liminal Space’: A surprisingly varied punk rock powerhouse

Bristolian rockers The Pleasure Dome return with their newest EP ‘Liminal Space’ to demonstrate their musical versatility