emily-brown

Blind date: Lily and Tom

This week buff Bio Med student, Tom, met leggy Lifestyle Editor, Lily, for the final blind date of the year!

Lily, Drama and English Lit, Third year

What were your expectations for the evening?

Having been the one to set up the previous blind dates this year I thought it only right for me to have a go myself. I went in with the expectation that I’d spend an awkward hour with a postgraduate data programming student unearthed from the depths of the Kilburn building.

First impressions?

Where are my flowers?

What did you talk about?

Dissertations, post-third year plans, what we’ll miss about Manchester, my dog, mutual friends.

Best thing about them?

Easy to talk to and chatty but also happily endured my incessant babbling

What did you eat?

After all the previous steak recommendations I couldn’t resist. It was delicious but the waiter came and took mine away before I’d had the chance to finish. I was devastated but felt I’d look like a pig if I made a fuss so silently cursed him and glugged down some more wine.

Any awkwardness?

Only when a rather plump woman tried to squeeze on to the end of the table next to us and inadvertently grazed me with her bum a few times.

How did you part ways? 

After a few drinks in Sandbar, we said goodbye on a jam-packed Magic Bus. I was tipsily tucked up in my onesie by 10pm – no nights of passion at the Palace hotel this time.

Out of 10?

The steak – 10, the date – 8.

Would you see them again?

Yeah I’m sure I’ll see him around.

Tom, Biomedical Science, Third year

Free food and good company.

First impressions?

Cute and cool, nice jacket.

What did you talk about?

Friends in common and all the gossip about them.

Best thing about them?

She had a nice smile.

What did you eat?

Steak and sweet potato chips.

Any awkwardness?

No only small jitters at the beginning.

How did you part ways? 

Just parted with a “goodbye” as we were on the bus and she was dying to get back to watch Grey’s Anatomy.

Out of 10?

8

Would you see them again?

It would be nice to bump into her again.

Lily and Tom ate at The Deaf Institute, Grosvenor Street, Manchester. Thanks to the guys down at Grosvenor Street for getting involved with blind date for the last year and for all the free food and drink we’ve got out of them. It’s been much appreciated by all!

To check out Deaf Institute’s menu, gig listings and have a look at what club nights are coming up visit their website www.thedeafinstitute.co.uk

Thanks also to all the blind date participants, whether you’ve been lucky in love or not you’ve provided some entertainment and that’s all that matters.