Manchester Forecast

Latest News:
Manchester Mancunion Logo

// Breaking News:

University of Manchester announce full divestment from fossil fuels

//Breaking: University of Manchester announce full divestment from fossil fuels More

60 seconds with…Umar Kamani

What did you study at university?

I studied Business Studies at Manchester Met Business School.

What was the inspiration behind boohoo.com?

Boohoo is a family business that my dad first set up. I am now focusing on our new accessories business, PrettyLittleThing.com, which is really exciting and great to have the experience and knowledge from Boohoo and taking that into a new business or ‘baby’ as such!

What has been the highlight of your career so far?

I wouldn’t say there has been one such highlight. This whole journey has been surreal, and overwhelming. Everyday presents new challenges for me. The highlight of my life is having my four grandparents still as a part of my life.

What advice would you give to anybody wanting to start their own business?

The advice I would give (and I don’t want to sound ‘cliched’) is to go with your instinct. You have to go with what makes you happy so you can enjoy your success once it happens. You can never be the best if you don’t cherish your work. I would say it’s important to surround yourself with good people and wise people, and work hard. Nothing comes easy.

What does Manchester mean to you in terms of fashion?

I absolutely love Manchester. Everyday I feel like we’re growing as a city within the fashion world. People understand that so many talented designers, businessmen, artists etc come from Manchester. It’s a beautiful city. I have to travel a lot and spend a lot of the time in beautiful places with great weather, but the feeling of landing in Manchester is second to none. I believe that there is a growing fashion culture, and I really hope we maintain this as a city.

Visit boohoo.com

Tags: 60 seconds, boohoo, interview, Manchester, online, owner, retailer, umar kamani

Trackback from your site.