emma-richards

Geek Chic: A Spectacle

Emma Richards on how to look bold, but not ridiculous, in nerd goggles.

Geek Chic has returned – and the easiest, and boldest, way to channel the look is through some suitably nerdy specs. However, if you find yourself struggling to know where to begin amongst the many different options then look no further: here are a few tips to keep in mind when searching for that perfect pair of frames to sport in and around the fashion hub of Manchester, (a.k.a the Library)

1) Look for styles that hit right at the eyebrow line for a clean, polished look, which also create a streamlining effect to your face. Similarly the modern take on squarish retro frames will give your cheeks a thinner appearance.

2) Pay attention to your proportions. No one wants frames that are too big for their face, which will make you look ridiculous and prompt ‘should’ve-gone-to-specsavers’ jokes. A good way to check is if the lens extends past the side of your face by about a finger’s width, give or take a little bit.

3) It’s hard to ignore the array of thick, bold frames currently on offer, which have proven an extremely popular trend. But while they are guaranteed to make you stand out, just be careful not to supersize to an extreme…

Alternatively, if you really want to make a statement in a big way, try translucent frames. This is a very stylish choice and channels the seasons penchant for winter whites – who knows, you may even grab the attention of that hottie in the library…

4) However, if it’s intelligence you’re after, this multi-functional accessory can also make you look smarter. Styles such as the infamous ‘Harry Potter’ capture this perfectly. No wonder so many professionals even choose to wear frames with prescription-less lenses in the workplace.

5) Finally, it’s no secret that uni-life can be an exhausting existence at times. For those days when you can’t find the time to even shower – let alone put on some make up – opt for colourful frames, particularly red, as this will add colour to your face and disguise that worn out look like magic.

So there you have it, never have glasses been so popular and it’s easy to see why. Happy frame picking!

Bloomers are back: A successful attempt at reclaiming feminist fashion?

An exploration of bloomers as a feminist symbol and their role in fashion today

King George vs Lady Gaga: Crown to Couture at Kensington Palace in review

Crown to Couture is an expertly curated exhibition which draws fascinating parallels between the world of today’s red carpet and the Georgian Royal Court in the 18th century.

Natsu Fest: The Last Dance – What’s next for Manchester’s community clothing brand?

From an early collaboration with Wagamama to starting a music festival in his backyard. We sat down with student clothing brand owner Dhara Nat Sufraz Patel to talk everything Natsu Clothing.

Making a statement: Fashion in politics

From Minion suits to social movements, find out why fashion in politics has been making a statement for so long.