emma-richards

Geek Chic: A Spectacle

Emma Richards on how to look bold, but not ridiculous, in nerd goggles.

Geek Chic has returned – and the easiest, and boldest, way to channel the look is through some suitably nerdy specs. However, if you find yourself struggling to know where to begin amongst the many different options then look no further: here are a few tips to keep in mind when searching for that perfect pair of frames to sport in and around the fashion hub of Manchester, (a.k.a the Library)

1) Look for styles that hit right at the eyebrow line for a clean, polished look, which also create a streamlining effect to your face. Similarly the modern take on squarish retro frames will give your cheeks a thinner appearance.

2) Pay attention to your proportions. No one wants frames that are too big for their face, which will make you look ridiculous and prompt ‘should’ve-gone-to-specsavers’ jokes. A good way to check is if the lens extends past the side of your face by about a finger’s width, give or take a little bit.

3) It’s hard to ignore the array of thick, bold frames currently on offer, which have proven an extremely popular trend. But while they are guaranteed to make you stand out, just be careful not to supersize to an extreme…

Alternatively, if you really want to make a statement in a big way, try translucent frames. This is a very stylish choice and channels the seasons penchant for winter whites – who knows, you may even grab the attention of that hottie in the library…

4) However, if it’s intelligence you’re after, this multi-functional accessory can also make you look smarter. Styles such as the infamous ‘Harry Potter’ capture this perfectly. No wonder so many professionals even choose to wear frames with prescription-less lenses in the workplace.

5) Finally, it’s no secret that uni-life can be an exhausting existence at times. For those days when you can’t find the time to even shower – let alone put on some make up – opt for colourful frames, particularly red, as this will add colour to your face and disguise that worn out look like magic.

So there you have it, never have glasses been so popular and it’s easy to see why. Happy frame picking!

Horticultured: Manchester Fashion Movement brings great clothes to the great outdoors

First Chanel’s Metiers D’Art took place in Manchester last December and now RHS Bridgewater’s Horticultured unfolded in Salford showcasing some fantastic local and sustainable brands

My favourite jeans: Student journalists share their top denim picks

Looking for the perfect jeans? Look no further! Our writers and editors share all their top tips and fave pairs

Celebrity Style Guide #8: Dua Lipa and Callum Turner

We explore the style of up-and-coming couple, musician Dua Lipa and actor Callum Turner, from their day-time outfits to their after-party looks

Glossier: Cult brand or profit machine?

Glossier were famed for their Balm Dotcom and Cloud Paint Blush, but with product prices rising during a cost-of-living crisis will their cult status last?