Top 5: Iconic fashion films

Susie Coen and Lizzie Pugh run you through their favourite fashion films.

1) Clueless – 1995

The 1995 hit sensation Clueless embodies everything we love about the ’90s. From miniskirts to knee high socks, Cher and Dionne quickly became fashion icons for teenage girls everywhere. Seeing the current return of ’90s trends it we will remember to pay homage to the film that started it all.

Photo: ofwoodsandwords.com

2) Breakfast at Tiffany’s – 1961

Nobody demonstrates the significance of the LBD better than Holly Golightly in the 1961 classic Breakfast at Tiffany’s. Designed by Hubert de Givenchy, the beautifully effective simple cuts and lines of Hepburn’s dresses are reinvented in every scene through the use of tiaras and chunky pearl necklaces. The film is a masterclass on the importance of accessories.

Photo: allmoviephoto.com

3) Factory Girl – 2006

Epitomising signature styles of the 1960s, Edie Sedgwick, may only have had ’15 minutes of fame’ but in the words of Dior’s Galliano ‘her style and image influenced a whole generation.’ Her pixie cut introduced us to the world of androgyny in a decade of liberation of women.

Photo: fact.co.uk

4) The Artist – 2011

No words are needed to compliment the dazzling designs of the 1920s costumes in this silent film. Costume designer Mark Bridges cleverly plays with the black-and-white motif showing us that cut can be more important than colour. The film leaves us pining to be able to pull off the cloche hat as perfectly as Bérénice Bejolt.

Photo: themoviebinge.com

5) The Devil Wears Prada – 2006

The clue is in the title, this film lets us into the cut-throat world of the fashion industry – and makes us long for it even more! With an outrageous amount of 1 million dollars spent on costumes alone, the film exhibits how the right clothes can transform you from a frump to a fashionista.

Decoding the phenomenon: What lies behind celebrities launching beauty brands?

Why are so many celebs leaving the spotlight and reaching into the realm of cosmetics to launch their own beauty brands?

Celebrity style guide #3: Sabrina Carpenter

If you’re looking to recreate Sabrina’s feminine, pop-star style then look no further because we have a guide just for you