ben-brown

Playing Catch Up

Ben Brown on what men have to look forward to in SS 2013

As a rule, there are only two things I hope never to have to share with other people: bespoke clothing, and my browser history. Between Pitti Uomo and the ‘Big Four’ Fashion weeks, I feel safe in breaking this cardinal rule by divulging that my Chrome history is, in fact, now filled with search results for bespoke clothing.

With every new year, the gentle rustling of well-kept beards and Harris Tweed begins to emanate from the fringes of the male fashion world. The ensuing parade of menswear makes the Six Nations February’s second most manly endeavour. Moreover, the annual spate of fashion shows represents a coagulation of a year’s hard work on the part of over 200 designers, millions of dollars spent, and Tumblr-fodder for the next six months.

Happily, to save yourselves the Sisyphean task of catching up on everything you have missed, I have compiled this handy roundup of all the events of the past two months.

highsnobriety.com

Pitti Uomo is Still Awesome

Combining some great presentations with sweet, sweet street style, the Florence-based trade show kicked off the year in terrific form. The presentations included some classic offerings from Boglioli, Isaia, and special guest Kenzo. Attendees were even treated to a rare display from Japanese techwear producers, White Mountaineering. The show marked a departure from the brand’s habitual Japan-based presentations that occur at completely random times of the year.

thetodayexperience.com

Four Big Fashion Weeks

If Pitti Uomo is the Jamie Farr character in the M*A*S*H unit of fashion shows, then the ‘Big Four’ definitely represent Col. Potter: you take them seriously. Much like the nature of completely irrelevant 1980s television references, London, New York, Paris, and Milan turned up some classic shows this year. One particularly prominent (read: mental) highlight was Berluti’s winter-wonderland, inter-species display at Le Musée Nationale d’Histoire Naturelle.

gentlemensgazette.com

The Year of Street Style

More a prediction than a summation of facts: I think it’s safe to assume we will see street style continue to develop alongside social networking. The first few months of 2013 have offered up some real gems both in male and female style. With a growing web-based audience, it’s really interesting to see how completely candid moments are becoming as sartorially informed as any catwalk. It isn’t as if street style is anything new, but it is pleasing to see street etiquette continue to materialise as a standalone creative endeavour.

2013 promises to be a great year for male style; if fashion season is anything to go by it is going to be a cavalcade of great sunglasses and strong dogtooth. For now, things are returning to normality: The Fashion weeks were a success, street style’s game was up, and God Wooster is still a total mensch. If you’re interested, GQ is running a really interesting article about him right now; it should be on my history…

Actually, I’ll find it.

The evolution of Coachella fashion: From glam to casual, has the fun faded?

Looking back at the biggest festival of the year and why it was such a disappointment for fashion fans

On screen style report #8: Samantha Jones

How would the original girlboss, Samantha Jones, tear up Manhattan in 2024? One showstopping look at a time…

The most iconic closets from TV and Film

Closets that never end, closets that pick your outfit for you, and closets controlled with a remote… ah the life of a fictional girlboss

Summer’s best defence: The top five sunscreen picks for your skincare

Shield your skin from harmful UV rays with our top five sunscreen picks; from lightweight formulas to advanced skincare benefits, these sunscreens offer protection and nourishment for summer-ready skin