sean-doherty
23rd September 2013

Salford students convicted of drug dealing

Class A, B, and C drugs found in Salford dorm room

Two Salford University students found guilty of dealing drugs have been sentenced to two years each in young offender’s institutions.

First year student Cara Donnison, 20, and her boyfriend, gap-year student Daniel Campbell, 20 were caught with over £2,500 worth of class A, B and C drugs after police searched Donnison’s room last December.

Police found the drugs in the room after following up calls complaining of disruptive behaviour and drug use. After seeing cannabis and white powder on the bed, as well as digital weighing scales, they searched the room.

The search revealed a haul which consisted of ecstacy worth £1,092, 120 grams of cannabis worth £1,206, 8.95 grams of ketamine worth £179, a bag of cocaine worth £40, as well as two bags of ketamine and cocaine worth £36. They also found £170 of cash along with a collection of plastic snap-bags.

While Campbell transported the drugs into Salford, they were kept in Donnison’s university halls room in Castle Isle Student Village, a halls of residence which is home to over 1,000 Salford students and located a mile from the Allerton campus.

The pair, neither of whom have any previous convictions, pleaded guilty to three counts of possession with intent to supply as well as one count of possession.

Regarding their sentences, Judge David Hernandez said, “I appreciate that this is going to have a disruptive effect on your lives and I keep the sentences as short as I possibly can”, however he added that their actions meant that, “There has to be a custodial sentence.”

The prosecuting attorney said, about Daniel Campbell, ”He said he knew what he was doing was wrong but he got carried away due to the money that he was making from drugs.”

Sean Doherty

Sean Doherty

News Editor

UoM’s Chancellor finds institutional discrimination in new London Fire Brigade report

in a leaked report, The University of Manchester’s Chancellor, Nazir Afzal OBE, has found the London Fire Brigade to be institutionally racist and misogynistic
“Whose streets? Our streets” chants echo during Reclaim the Night

This years Reclaim the Night protest saw hundreds of students marching from Fallowfield to the Students Union in protest of gender-based violence
How to claim the University of Manchester’s cost-of-living payment

All full-time students at the University of Manchester are eligible for £170 payments for the cost-of-living crisis, here’s how you can claim yours…
University Watch November: What’s going on around the UK?

A round-up of some of the big news from other Universities in the UK this November