Editors’ Picks: The Manchester Literature Festival

From 7th October to 20th October, celebrated authors will be descending on venues across Manchester. Books Editors Esmé Clifford Astbury and Annie Muir reveal their top picks

With seven years of enviable line-ups under its belt, the Manchester Literature Festival promises to delight.

“Once again,” says Cathy Bolton, Director of the Manchester Literature Festival, “we are making Manchester the destination of choice for literature lovers this October; launching some of the hottest new books of the autumn season, and presenting an exciting series of bespoke commissions, talks and walking tours celebrating some of the city’s rich literary heritage and inquiring spirit.”

On 11th October, the author and American scholar Sarah Churchill explores the time, place, music and people that inspired and shaped F. Scott Fitzgerald’s seminal novel, The Great Gatsby in ‘The Great Gatsby Uncovered’. She is joined at Matt and Phreds Jazz Club by jazz troupe Alligator Gumbo who will provide the sounds of the roaring ‘20s.

On 13th October, Roddy Doyle will be talking about his new novel The Guts at the Royal Exchange Theatre. Doyle is perhaps best known for The Barrytown Trilogy, a series of novels centred around the Rabbitte family. Fans will be pleased to hear that Jimmy Rabbitte will be making a comeback.

Another well-loved character is set to return this year: Bridget Jones. Comic novelist and screenwriter Helen Fielding will also be at the Royal Exchange Theatre on 13th October, launching her latest addition to the Bridget Jones series, Bridget Jones: Mad About The Boy, and filling fans in on what their favourite singleton (not so single anymore?) has been up to.

‘I am, I am, I am: Reflections on Sylvia Plath’ on 13th October marks the 50th anniversary of the Bell Jar and her posthumous collection of poems, Ariel. Two contemporary authors, Jackie Kay and Ali Smith, consider the infamous poet’s legacy, as well as the ways in which she has influenced their own work and lives.

Jeanette Winterson discusses myths, wonder, storytelling and the imagination with Audrey Niffenegger on 13th October. Winterson is the author of Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit and is currently Professor of Creative Writing at the University of Manchester’s Centre for New Writing. Niffenegger has written three graphic novels: The Three Incestuous Sisters, The Adventuress and The Night Bookmobile. She is perhaps best known for the international bestseller The Time Traveller’s Wife and Her Fearful Symmetry.

Manchester Literature Festival and Manchester Camerata have organised a special programme marking the anniversary of Martin Luther King’s ‘I Have a Dream’ speech. Lemn Sissay has been commissioned to respond to the speech and create his own ‘poetic vision for our times’. Join him and witness something special at the Manchester Town Hall on 19th October.

Book references in Taylor Swift’s songs: Lyrical masterpieces

Taylor Swift has dominated the music industry for over ten years. She has ten original award-winning studio albums, with her most recent one, Midnights, breaking Spotify records. Swift’s love of books is no secret, especially when considering the many books she has recommended over the years. This includes Conversations with Friends by Sally Rooney, recently […]

Review: The Leviathan

Witchcraft. Demonic possession. All-knowing entities. these are just a few of the themes to expect in Rosie Andrew’s explosive debut novel

A Bookmark biography: The charity that helps children read

As well as providing all the information you need to know about who Bookmark are, what they do and how you can get involved, the Mancunion interviews Bookmark’s Anna Pickles to ask about all the extra info, plus her favourite book

Books not to fill your stockings with

Not every book should end up in stockings this Christmas – here is just a small selection of the Books that the Mancunion Books section would not want to find in their stockings on Christmas morning