ben-walker

What of coffee on campus?

Ben Walker has been searching the campus grounds for the best cup of coffee
What of coffee on campus?

So, there are to my reckoning three types of coffee drinking within the not so little insular world of UoM. The first isn’t really proper coffee; I refer to the quite repugnantly sweet and syrupy and artificially flavoured buckets of lukewarm swill. Of course this is a verbal assault on the likes of gingerbread lattes, double ‘mochachino’ latte with vanilla, cream and choco-flakes. It is necessary to dig a small grave in the mountainous terrain of over whipped cream to find the liquid; the reward of all that strenuous effort is not worth it.

Though these drinks are nasty, I am not sending these drinks on the long march to the beverage gulag. There is a place, though ever so slight, for them—just don’t call it coffee or really associate with coffee.

Number two is a drink consumed out of habit and necessity. An early morning pick-me-up macchiato, a mid morning recharge cappuccino before clawing towards the luncheon hour, or that last-ditch afternoon latte to drag oneself to home time. Here I believe the consumer is looking for the effects of coffee more than the taste, and this is what indeed Food on Campus rely on, and with a steady customer base, F on C sit happily on the coffee monopoly.

Then there is the third type, the discerning drinker, in search of that elusive nectar; body, aroma, and taste. Now it may seem out of the question to expect Oxford Road to sprout a North Tea Power, but why? There is definitely a market in the campus area for a truly elite coffee house, serving a variety of brilliant coffee drinks from elegant flat whites to powerful ristrettos. For now however I can suggest looking out for Eros coffee in University Place, Café Nero—the high street’s best chain and to its credit pretty good coffee, and finally The Anchor, over looking Whitworth Park, as the areas entry as best independent and most enjoyable place to sit and savour.

2013-09-24 11.56.57

The Anchor. Ben Walker

Celebrate Pride month in style at Yotel

Celebrate Pride month in style at Yotel

Don’t miss out on trying Yotel’s new and affordable cocktail supporting LGBTQ+ charity Switchboard this June!
Wham, Bam, Thank You NAM!

Wham, Bam, Thank You NAM!

Izzy Langhamer takes a look at NAM’s new menu, Vietnamese food at the heart of the city’s food scene
Hello Oriental: Oxford Road’s newest addition

Hannah Wellock reviews Hello Oriental, the new bakery, restaurant and oriental food shop on Oxford Road, part of Circle Square.
Nibble NQ: A bite of joy

Nibble NQ: A bite of joy

Not to be missed, Nibble NQ is a treat for the tastebuds and is proudly female forward