inez-dawoodjee

Strikes set to affect exam results

UCU strikes could delay graduation

The University and College Union has announced that it will not mark students’ examinations if universities do not offer a better pay increase.

The strike  is set to commence on the 28th of April if universities do not concede to raise pay of staff within the next two months.  The strikes will affect release of examination results and possibly cause delays  in graduation ceremonies.

UCU general secretary Sally Hunt said: “A marking boycott is the ultimate sanction, but an avoidable one if the employers would negotiate with us over pay.”

She added: “No member I have spoken to wishes to see this dispute escalate, but in the continued absence of meaningful negotiations from the employers, we are left with no alternative.”

This is the latest move in a series of six strikes that started in October last year.  The Union announced that the strike could still be avoided if universities were willing to engage in negotiations.

Staff have been offered a 1% raise in response to their demands, but are pressing for a higher figure.  Vice chancellors have received a pay-rise of 5.1% within the last year, with   average salaries numbering £235,000.

Ms Hunt remarked: “The strong support for our action so far demonstrates how angry staff are at the hypocrisy over pay in our universities. The employers cannot plead poverty when it comes to staff pay and then award enormous rises to a handful at the top.”

Record 159 students apply to LeadMCR

159 students have applied, breaking the record set in 2016

John Rylands Library to undergo major £7.6m transformation

The John Rylands will undergo a £7.6m revision, allowing the building to meet mid-21st century needs

University round-up: new 24/7 helpline, (nearly) oldest-ever graduate, and a rise in burglaries

Read the latest news from UK universities, featuring a new 95-year-old graduate and the rollout of a new 24/7 helpline service

Students’ Union release statement in response to “Pro-Life Society” petition

The Students’ Union Exec team has released a statement outlining their legal position in regards to the creation of and affiliation with new societies