• Sport
  • Can’t get into a University team? Don’t sweat!

will-kelly

Can’t get into a University team? Don’t sweat!

There’s a whole host of other leagues to get involved in

Sadly, university sport teams operate on a different level to what you may have experienced in school or college. Trials are a shambles. For most teams, your trial would be you in your most hung over state, lumping your body around and trying to stand out in the midst of thousands. Schools and colleges, however, allow you the opportunity to show that you can improve on a weekly basis. Try not to be hard on yourself if you don’t get into the team straight away because it is difficult. Having been told to my face that I would most likely be in, I was really aggrieved to find out that I hadn’t made it, even more so because I found this out online.

But it’s certainly not the end of the world as the University runs very competitive leagues for societies. In terms of football, the standard is very competitive with 50 teams playing across five divisions. Playing at Wythenshawe sports ground, games come thick and fast as you’re not only competing in the league but there are also numerous cup competitions to play in. Other sports include rugby and netball, and there are also chances to participate in mixed hockey and mixed basketball teams. This is a great way to meet new people and the socials are certainly interesting! So get involved and get playing!

Season review for local clubs

Season review for local clubs

A review of the 2021/22 campaign for clubs based in Greater Manchester
One Week Wonders: The Worst Tennis World No. 1s

Inspired by Medvedev’s limited tenure at the number one spot – who else has hold the position for a few short weeks?
Billionaire business owners: What are they doing to football?

How has a working class sport become plagued by greed? 
The issue of women’s pay in sport: The fight for fairness in a male dominated field

These are signs that women’s sport is going in the right direction, but do not be fooled. There is still plenty of work to do.