will-kelly

Can’t get into a University team? Don’t sweat!

There’s a whole host of other leagues to get involved in

Sadly, university sport teams operate on a different level to what you may have experienced in school or college. Trials are a shambles. For most teams, your trial would be you in your most hung over state, lumping your body around and trying to stand out in the midst of thousands. Schools and colleges, however, allow you the opportunity to show that you can improve on a weekly basis. Try not to be hard on yourself if you don’t get into the team straight away because it is difficult. Having been told to my face that I would most likely be in, I was really aggrieved to find out that I hadn’t made it, even more so because I found this out online.

But it’s certainly not the end of the world as the University runs very competitive leagues for societies. In terms of football, the standard is very competitive with 50 teams playing across five divisions. Playing at Wythenshawe sports ground, games come thick and fast as you’re not only competing in the league but there are also numerous cup competitions to play in. Other sports include rugby and netball, and there are also chances to participate in mixed hockey and mixed basketball teams. This is a great way to meet new people and the socials are certainly interesting! So get involved and get playing!

Tyrants top BUCS Northern Division 1 after back to back wins

The Tyrants beat the undefeated Leeds Gryphons after an incredible catch from wide receiver Max Simmons

A state of manufactured chaos: a day out at Invades races

A day out at the races is the new staple of student social lives throughout the country

Barcelona Femení 5 – Real Madrid Femenino 0: The women´s Clásico and why it matters

For just over £100 from Manchester, you can visit Barcelona’s Olympic stadium and see one of the world’s greatest historical fixtures with some of the greatest footballers in the world right now

“This is the best job in the world”: UOMWFC’s Head Coach Rob McKay on how women’s football at university is thriving

UoM’s Women’s Football Club is breaking norms usually accepted within the sport, with Coach McKay bringing community and ambition to his teams