evie-hull

Nigerian Students’ Society

Manchester Nigerian Students’ Society aims to unite students of Nigeria and keep contact with culture and identity in a friendly and positive atmosphere.

We all know what it’s like being away from home at university. Sometimes the atmosphere and work heavy scheduling is enough to distract us from it, but sometimes it’s a little harder. Now imagine you’re from a little further afield, continents away and, suddenly, everything gets that much harder.

This is something the Nigerian Students’ Society knows all about. The society aims to bring all of the Nigerian students of Manchester University together, helping them to feel just that little bit closer to home. By uniting Nigerian students, the society hopes to help them keep in touch with their culture and identity, which can be so easily lost in the surrounding environment of Manchester. Every member of the society is viewed as an ambassador of Nigeria and tasked with promoting a positive image of Nigeria to England and Manchester. But even if you’re not Nigerian, the society has a place for you, welcoming anyone identifying as a ‘Friend of Nigeria’. Perhaps you’re interested in Nigerian food, culture or music? If so, they’d love to hear from you.

Friday October 10th marks the Nigerian Students’ Society’s first event of this academic year; ‘Give it a Go’. They’re meeting at the Student Union Council Chambers on Oxford Road from 4pm – 7pm. It’s a free event, so any interested parties are encouraged to bring their friends for an evening of food, music, quizzes and other fun things they’re sure you won’t want to miss out on! So, as the society itself has pointed out, why not give it a go?

For any more information about the Nigerian Students’ Society or their events, please contact Bola Akinyemiju at this email address: [email protected]

In conversation with the Feminist Collective: “It’s about making sure that no one’s voice goes unheard”

The Mancunion sat down with the University of Manchester’s Feminist Collective to talk about their society values, their plans for the year ahead, and intersectional feminism

Review: Tiramisu (UMDS)

Tiramisu, which was performed at the University of Manchester SU, is an excellently existential adaptation of Annie Baker’s The Antipodes

Review: Skies in the Cloud (UMDS)

Skies in the Cloud exhibits intimate and ethereal themes, showcasing the talent of UMDS students

Review: Stump (UMDS)

The Mancunion reviews Stum, performed by the University of Manchester Drama Society at The Brewers in Gay Village