ben-allan
21st October 2014

Club: Stevie Wonderland presents John Morales

Morales delivered a set that perfectly combined classics with more modern hits

16th October

Roadhouse

8.5/10

You could be mistaken for thinking that Stevie Wonderland has been around for 5+ years considering the following they command in their spot as Manchester’s finest purveyors of disco. They’ve enjoyed a number of successful shows in recent times at Gorilla, but decided to downsize to the much more intimate Roadhouse tonight. However, this certainly did not mean a lapse in the quality of their bookings, as they welcomed John Morales to the smaller venue for a much anticipated 3 hour set.

New York legend Morales is one of the most prolific artists in disco with more productions to his name than most people have had hot dinners. Both on his own and as one half of famed duo M&M, Morales has produced for such royalty as The Fantastic Aleems, Jocelyn Brown and The Temptations.

The night started well with the high standard of the residents shining through. Hits such as JV’s ‘Edit Channel XXX’ and Donna Summer’s ‘I Feel Love’ warmed the crowd up nicely before the master took to the decks. Opening with Prince – ‘Wanna Be Your Lover (Dimitri from Paris Re-Edit)’, Morales never looked back and delivered a set that combined classics with more modern hits perfectly. Records such as Terrence Parker’s ‘Your Love’ and ‘Never Too Much’ by ‘Luther Vandross’ kept the punters moving all night long and had many wondering where the last three hours had got to when the last song ran its course and the lights came on.

Stevie Wonderland always provides a refreshing chance to dance to something a little different from the usual offering in Manchester and this night was no different as they once again confirmed their status as one of Manchester’s most enjoyable nights out.