aimee-grant-cumberbatch
31st October 2014

The Upcycling Project

Aimée Grant Cumberbatch fills you in on the SU’s inspiring new fashion initiative

Who doesn’t love to shop? Nobody worth talking to. What isn’t quite so easy to love however is fast fashion and its unsustainable practices. So how do you reconcile those moral misgivings when you have a wardrobe in desperate need of an update? With a little help from the Union, that’s how. As part of its new, and may we say genius, venture—the Upcycling Project—starting on the 10th of November, the Students’ Union will be running a shop in the old RBS building next to Academy 1. The store will stock pre-loved items that have been given a modern makeover by a selection of talented student upcyclers.

Want to get involved? Donating clothes is probably the simplest way to be a part of this inspired new scheme, so bring your unwanted items to the foyer of the SU by Wednesday November 5th. The Upcyling Project is also looking for volunteers to be involved in the shop, organising events and upcycling the clothes. So if you’re as excited about the initiative as we are come along to a meeting in Academy 3 at 7pm on November 11th or get in contact via the Facebook page. Students are also invited to soup up their sewing skills at upcycling workshops at the store space from Stitched Up (November 4th) and Junk (November 10th) who will be showing you how to transform an unwanted shirt into a beautiful new bag. We can’t wait.

The most iconic closets from TV and Film

Closets that never end, closets that pick your outfit for you, and closets controlled with a remote… ah the life of a fictional girlboss

Summer’s best defence: The top five sunscreen picks for your skincare

Shield your skin from harmful UV rays with our top five sunscreen picks; from lightweight formulas to advanced skincare benefits, these sunscreens offer protection and nourishment for summer-ready skin

The Fashion x LQBTQ+ Society’s Charity Fashion Show is back!

The Fashion Society and LGBTQ+ Society have teamed up again for a fabulous charity fashion show in aid of Trans Mutual Aid Manchester

Student Style Diaries #2: ‘Doing my best’

The Mancunion’s Music Editor Alex Cooper takes us through his style, from reference points to recent revelations