Pub of the Week: The Railway, Didsbury

Sam Joyce and Charlie Filmer-Court review their Pub of the Week, The Railway in Didsbury
Pub of the Week: The Railway, Didsbury

In comparison to most of the trendy bars in West Didsbury, Joseph Holt pub The Railway is an unpretentious and laid back watering hole. Nothing stands out as being fantastic about this pub, but there is not much you can complain about either. It’s a good place to bring a couple of mates for a quiet pint—especially considering the log fire for those not wanting to fork out on bills during the winter months. The jukebox in the centre adds to the homely atmosphere but you will do well to break into the huddle of regulars playing the Smiths. Johnny Depp has also been rumoured to visit the Railway on occasion and is said to be a friend of the owners, so a casual pint could end in a celebrity encounter.

Drink: Must try Joseph Holt brewery lagers, Crystal and Diamond. Excellent range of ales, the cheapest being Joseph Holt bitter at £2.69, plus rotating guest ales (currently Chorlton IPA). If you’re looking to get merry they have Old Rosie Scrumpy on tap.

What’s on: Quiz night is Tuesday at 9, Trapdoor comedy is on every second Monday of the month—including acts from Mock The Week and QI.

Get There: 143 to West Didsbury and walk the length of Lapwing Lane. Alternatively it’s a short cycle down Burton Road.

https://twitter.com/RailwayDidsbury

‘A Sunday Well Spent’ with Gino

‘A Sunday Well Spent’ with Gino

‘A Sunday Well Spent’ at INNSiDE Manchester by Melia includes a luxurious meal at First Street Bar and Kitchen.
Celebrate Pride month in style at Yotel

Celebrate Pride month in style at Yotel

Don’t miss out on trying Yotel’s new and affordable cocktail supporting LGBTQ+ charity Switchboard this June!
Wham, Bam, Thank You NAM!

Wham, Bam, Thank You NAM!

Izzy Langhamer takes a look at NAM’s new menu, Vietnamese food at the heart of the city’s food scene
Hello Oriental: Oxford Road’s newest addition

Hannah Wellock reviews Hello Oriental, the new bakery, restaurant and oriental food shop on Oxford Road, part of Circle Square.