helen-chapman

Clubber left with fractured face and broken teeth after a brutal attack outside Sankeys

Police are appealing for witnesses to a vicious assault outside Sankeys nightclub in Ancoats to come forward and assist in the investigation

At around 4am on Sunday 26th October 2014, a man and his friend left the nightclub and walked to two separate cars to head home. 

The victim then received a call from his friend asking for help, as some men had approached him and were trying to steal his car.

The victim ran around the corner and saw two unknown men sitting in his friend’s vehicle.

After he asked them to get out, one of the offenders got out the car and started to threaten the victim before launching into an attack, punching him in the face, breaking his teeth and causing facial fractures that left the victim hospitalised. 

The offender is described as an Asian man, of slim build, around 5ft 10in tall and between 25 and 27 years old. He had a goatee beard and was wearing a red jumper and blue jeans. 

Detective Constable David Berry said: “This assault caused significant injury to the victim, leaving him requiring hospital treatment and cosmetic surgery to his face.

“Such was the force of the blows and the damage caused by the attack, that officers believe that the offenders used a weapon.

“The victim was simply sticking up for his friend and that act of bravery has resulted in him suffering terrible injury.

“If you were in the area at the time, you were leaving Sankeys around 4am or saw anyone matching the description above, please call police as soon as possible.”

Detective Constable David Berry, from Greater Manchester Police, said: “This assault caused significant injury to the victim, leaving him requiring hospital treatment and cosmetic surgery to his face.

“Such was the force of the blows and the damage caused, officers believe that the offenders used a weapon.

“The victim was simply sticking up for his friend and that act of bravery has resulted in him suffering terrible injury.”

Anyone with information should call police on 0161 856 1901 or the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Universally Manchester festival: details released for the bicentenary celebrations

The bicentenary festival is set to run from June 6 to 9 with 150+ events across campus

Students’ Union will not adopt a BDS policy despite vote in favour

The motion, voted for by students in December 2023, passed with 89.6% of students voting in favour and would have resulted in the Students’ Union adopting BDS policy