the-mancunion-team

We are Charlie Hebdo

The Mancunion’s statement on the shootings in Paris

We at The Mancunion are absolutely horrified by the events in Paris and refuse to be intimidated. The murders constitute a direct assault on the values of free speech and secularism, which were created by French philosophers during the Enlightenment in a struggle against tyrannical power.

No idea, belief, or policy should be exempt from criticism or mockery. The prophet Muhammad is no exception. Once people, particularly us as journalists, start believing that they cannot speak or write about a particular organisation or belief, tyranny and stupidity are allowed to flourish.

At the same time, we firmly believe that the actions of a small radical minority must not be portrayed to represent an entire faith, or used to justify more draconian laws, and we offer our most sincere condolences to the families of the murdered journalists and police officers.

Pro-Palestinian student groups occupy Simon Building in protest against University

Manchester Leftist Action have occupied the Simon Building to protest alleged University connections with Israel, along with students from UoM Rent Strike and Youth Front for Palestine