luciebellingham

Shimmering supremacy: Long live lip gloss

Dive into the revival of lip gloss in modern beauty culture and discover why it’s reclaiming its throne in the realm of cosmetics
Credit: Lucie Bellingham @ The Mancunion

The glossy revolution: How lip gloss is outshining lipstick

In the realm of cosmetics, the battle of the lips has long been waged between the classic allure of lipstick and the lustrous shine of lip gloss. As per Miss Serena van der Woodsen who famously summarised the age-old debate: “lipstick lasts longer but gloss is more fun.” Recently, there has been a notable shift in the tides of beauty trends. Lip gloss, with its gleaming finish and versatile formulas, is experiencing a resurgence, steadily eclipsing the dominance of its solid counterpart, lipstick. This shift not only marks a preference change, but also reflects a broader cultural evolution in beauty standards and consumer demands.

A brief history: Lipstick vs. Lip Gloss

The origins of lipstick date back centuries. Its creation traces back to ancient Mesopotamia and Egypt, where both men and women adorned their lips with natural pigments. Over the centuries, lipstick evolved, taking on various forms and ingredients, eventually becoming a staple in makeup kits worldwide. Its popularity surged during the early to mid-20th century, particularly with the rise of Hollywood glamour, where icons like Marilyn Monroe and Audrey Hepburn cemented its status as a symbol of femininity and sophistication.

Lip gloss, however, emerged much later on the beauty scene. Its inception can be attributed to Max Factor, who introduced the first commercially available lip gloss in 1930. Initially designed to add a dewy sheen to lips on-screen, it wasn’t until the 1970s that lip gloss gained mainstream popularity, becoming synonymous with youthful radiance and effortless chic.

The resurgence of lip gloss: Riding the waves of trends

In the ever-evolving landscape of beauty trends, lip gloss is experiencing a renaissance, fuelled by its adaptability and modern formulations. Unlike the matte, highly pigmented finish of traditional lipsticks, lip gloss offers a sheer, translucent colour payoff making it ideal for achieving a more natural, fresh-faced look. This is especially relevant in the clean girl/minimalist aesthetic which prevails. This shift towards minimalism and ‘no-makeup makeup’ has propelled lip gloss into the spotlight, as consumers seek products that enhance their features without overpowering them.

Moreover, the beauty industry has witnessed a surge in demand for skincare-infused makeup products, and lip gloss has seamlessly integrated into this trend. Many formulations now boast hydrating ingredients like hyaluronic acid and vitamin E, providing not only a glossy sheen but also nourishment and moisture for the lips. This combination of beauty and skincare benefits has undoubtedly contributed to the growing popularity of lip gloss among consumers of all ages.

Celebrities: The ultimate trendsetters

In the realm of beauty, celebrities wield immense influence, shaping trends and setting standards with their red carpet looks and social media presence. In recent years, numerous A-listers have been spotted flaunting lip gloss, further fuelling its resurgence. From Kim Kardashian’s iconic glossy pout to Rihanna’s Fenty Beauty Gloss Bomb, celebrities have embraced lip gloss as a staple in their beauty routines, elevating its status to must-have status among their legions of fans.

Furthermore, the rise of influencer culture has amplified the reach of lip gloss, with beauty bloggers and content creators showcasing its versatility and appeal to diverse audiences and being used as brand ambassadors – for example, this content creator for Gisou. Whether it’s a high-shine, glass-like finish, or a subtle hint of colour, lip gloss offers endless possibilities for experimentation and self-expression, making it a favourite among beauty enthusiasts worldwide.

The future of lip gloss: Shining brighter than ever

As we journey further into the realms of beauty innovation and self-expression, the allure of lip gloss shows no signs of fading. With advancements in formulations and packaging, lip gloss continues to evolve, catering to the ever-changing needs and preferences of consumers. Whether it’s a sheer tint for everyday wear or a dazzling shimmer for a special occasion, lip gloss offers a world of possibilities for enhancing one’s natural beauty.

In the world of cosmetics, the rise of lip gloss marks a shift towards a more inclusive and individualistic approach to beauty. No longer confined to the shadows of its solid counterpart, lip gloss shines brightly as a symbol of versatility, vibrancy, and effortless glamour. So, whether you’re a die-hard lipstick aficionado or a newfound devotee of lip gloss, one thing is certain: in the glossy revolution, there’s room for everyone to shine.

Summer’s best defence: The top five sunscreen picks for your skincare

Shield your skin from harmful UV rays with our top five sunscreen picks; from lightweight formulas to advanced skincare benefits, these sunscreens offer protection and nourishment for summer-ready skin

The Fashion x LQBTQ+ Society’s Charity Fashion Show is back!

The Fashion Society and LGBTQ+ Society have teamed up again for a fabulous charity fashion show in aid of Trans Mutual Aid Manchester

Student Style Diaries #2: ‘Doing my best’

The Mancunion’s Music Editor Alex Cooper takes us through his style, from reference points to recent revelations

Leopard print roars back: The resurgence of a popular fashion trend

Exploring the resurgence of leopard print – how the iconic pattern clawed its way back into fashion’s spotlight with a blend of nostalgia, contemporary flair, and widespread celebrity endorsement