• Pickpocket arrested in Factory 251 had eight mobile phones hidden in trousers

aileen-rose-duffy

Pickpocket arrested in Factory 251 had eight mobile phones hidden in trousers

A pickpocket has been arrested after being found in Factory with eight mobile phones hidden down his trousers

A man local to the Manchester area was arrested on Saturday the 24th of January at the student-popular nightclub Factory 251 after being caught pickpocketing in the crowd.

Carlo Lanzon, 31, was caught by plain clothed officers who were on duty in the nightclub on the evening of the incident.

When caught, Lanzon was discovered to have a total of 8 mobile phones concealed down his trousers that he had stolen from club-goers throughout the night.

Lanzon was arrested at the venue itself and on Monday the 26th of January was charged at Manchester Magistrates Court.

Factory 251, owned by former Joy Division band member Peter Hook, has been recovering its reputation since parts of the roof of the nightclub came loose and fell onto patrons, injuring seven people nearly a year ago to date.

The incident arises in the wake of a recent public service announcement from the Greater Manchester Police warning students about safety surrounding house parties and alcohol awareness.

With Refreshers events welcoming back the student population of Manchester after the exam period, personal awareness should not be disregarded on nights out, helping to prevent more crimes such as this occurring, as students are notoriously targeted by thieves.

Greater Manchester Police stated that one in three victims of theft and burglary in Greater Manchester is a student, further stressing a need for greater safety consideration.

Jeremy Corbyn speaks to students at the Right to Clothing Campaign launch

Jeremy Corbyn announces the Right to Clothing Campaign at The University of Manchester, in a bid to make clothing more sustainable and affordable.
Queen Elizabeth II obituary

Queen Elizabeth II obituary

Queen Elizabeth II opened the University of Manchester in 2004. Following her death, we look back at her life and impact on the city of Manchester
UoM PHD student faces backlash over research paper on masturbating to comics of young boys

A PHD student at the University of Manchester has recently come under fire and faced a severe online backlash after a research paper he wrote about masturbating to erotic comics of young boys went viral.