Beauty tutorial: 70s Disco

Warning! Not for wallflowers and shrinking violets, this bold look is pure Studio 54 on the Sunset Strip!

For this look you will need:

• Foundation
  • Lightweight concealer
  • Bronzer
  • Pearlescent highlighter
  • Pink blusher
  • Brow pencil or powder
  • Green and blue eye shadow
  • Black eye liner
  • Black mascara or false lashes
  • Burgundy lipstick

Step One:

Photo: The Mancunion

Although this an evening look, you need to avoid a heavy base as your skin should look fresh and natural. Use a creamy concealer to cover any imperfections and a light, dewy foundation if you need more coverage. If you have oily skin, set your make-up with a light powder. Next apply bronzer to temples, cheekbones and jawline with a fluffy brush, ensuring you blend it well. Then dot and blend highlighter along cheek and brow bones followed by a fresh pink blush on the apples of your cheeks.

Step Two:

Photo: The Mancunion

Define your eyebrows as you would normally but make sure they are not too thick or dark. Then, using an angled brush, line the lower lid with blue eye shadow (use an eyeliner if this is easier) before applying green eye shadow to the upper lid.

Step Three:

Photo: The Mancunion

Now extend the green eye shadow outwards in a wing shape. Add definition to your eyes by lining your upper lashes with black eye liner, making the line as thick or as thin as you like. Finish off by applying liner to your waterline.

Tip! If you find drawing the wing shape tricky, try using a credit card (or similar) as a ruler, by lining it up with the outer corner of your eye and the tip of your eyebrow.

Step Four:

Photo: The Mancunion

Complete the look with black mascara or false lashes, some dramatic dark lipstick and as much glitter as you like!

Tip! For lip colour that lasts, apply lip liner first then blot the first layer of lipstick. Add a touch of translucent powder, reapply lipstick and blot again!

Products used:

Bourjois Healthy Mix Foundation, £9.99, Boots
MUA Colour Pro-Base Prime & Conceal Palette, £4, Superdrug
Guerlain Terracotta Light Sheer Bronzing Powder, £34.50, Debenhams
Benefit High Beam, £19.50, Debenhams
Benefit Coralista, £23. 50, Debenhams
Sleek Brow Kit, £8.49, Superdrug
Sleek i-Divine Palette in Original, £7.99, Superdrug
Maybelline Colour Tattoo in Timeless Black, £4.99, Superdrug
Rimmel London Wonder’full Mascara, £7.99, Superdrug
Christian Dior Rouge Dior Lipstick in Fifth Avenue, £26, Debenhams

Bloomers are back: A successful attempt at reclaiming feminist fashion?

An exploration of bloomers as a feminist symbol and their role in fashion today

King George vs Lady Gaga: Crown to Couture at Kensington Palace in review

Crown to Couture is an expertly curated exhibition which draws fascinating parallels between the world of today’s red carpet and the Georgian Royal Court in the 18th century.

Natsu Fest: The Last Dance – What’s next for Manchester’s community clothing brand?

From an early collaboration with Wagamama to starting a music festival in his backyard. We sat down with student clothing brand owner Dhara Nat Sufraz Patel to talk everything Natsu Clothing.

Making a statement: Fashion in politics

From Minion suits to social movements, find out why fashion in politics has been making a statement for so long.