will-ellis

Live: Twin Peaks

Twin Peaks are having a great time—and they want you to have a great time too

20th February

Night and Day

7/10

It’s not what you do, it’s who you do it with. Not to downplay the idea of touring the word playing the music that you love—but surely if you’re going to tour, it’s best to do it with your best mates? Twin Peaks have been writing music together since the sixth grade (that’s year six to you and me) and are stereotypical childhood friends. Starting in a garage in Chicago they have defied the critics to become an internationally touring band as widely renowned as the Chicago bands that influenced them growing up. As a result this band is a tight knit group of mates, and you can really tell whilst watching them live. They perform as a unit, constantly bouncing off one another whilst bashing away on their respective instruments. This creates an energy that the band use well to enhance the sound of their music and their relationship with the crowd.

Playing a packed out Night & Day on their first ever trip to Manchester, it’s clear that many have been taken by this energy. With three principal songwriters, Twin Peaks don’t confine themselves to one strict style, the only unifying feature of each song is the electric, fast paced core that forces you to dance along. The band jumps between one sound to another throughout the gig, never failing to produce an exciting moment. From the psychedelic pop to punk rock, the link being their trademark garage rock take on these genres. This is a band with youth on their side with an average age of 21. They treat the gig as though they’re playing at their friends party, informal and playful. They’re having a great time and they want you to have a great time too.