samuel-ward

Live: All We Are

Samuel Ward gets lost in the falsetto dreamscape of All We Are

09/03/2015

Deaf Institute

6.5/10

Literally out of nothingness, from the stage door of not only the Deaf Institute but seemingly the entire musical world, All We Are step into the light, immediately greeting the Deaf Institute’s surprisingly full dance hall with some seriously skilled harmonies. It’s also immediate that All We Are are on form, most likely helped along by the flattering structure of their tracks but signalled by the odd mess about here and there.

Early on, the band jump into their soundcloud-dwelling cover of Caribou’s ‘Can’t do Without You’. It’s minimal, super tight and damn rhythmic, making me wonder whether if, one day, bands like this could hold slots in between DJs. As long as there’s versatility, which there definitely is here, it’s only a matter of time until acts like All We Are and Caribou start climbing bills in some interesting settings.

As much as they flex themselves to cover all sonic bases however, All We Are’s set sounds pretty safe; they play around but never stray too far from their falsetto-laden path. Nevertheless, the whole thing never lulls too heavily and even the unheard songs from their debut have the crowd jiving. In-fact, the set’s pace is quite interesting, as tempo and mood swings are brought about within songs, not between. Whether that’s a consequence of playing only one album’s worth of music I’m not sure, but it certainly works.

All We Are’s encore, unlike so many pointless others, in fact presents a perfect break after fan-fave ‘Keep Me Alive’ to set up for the slowly building and more methodical finale ending in a final jam. Give All We Are some time to settle into their gigging shoes and maybe some more writing activities and prepare for some serious festival contenders.

We can start over again? Blur reopen The Halls, Wolverhampton

A reformed Blur and a reopened venue; there was everything to adore about the indie darlings’ two-hour set.

Lytham Festival 2023: Lionel Richie, Def Leppard and lots more

Lytham Festival 2023 is headlined by Jamiroquai, George Ezra, Sting, Lionel Richie, and Def Leppard and Mötley Crüe, with special guests including Blondie, Gabrielle and Kim Wilde

“Music doesn’t often go for joy, and there’s nothing more elating than humour” – In Conversation with Yard Act

Yard Act frontman James Smith talks fatherhood, the difficult second album, hip-hop and the surprising similarities between music and stand-up comedy

La Clique – Media preview

Ahead of La Clique’s Northern premiere at Depot Mayfield, The Mancunion attended an exclusive media preview to catch a glimpse of the acts