gemma-sowerby

Proper into business? Propercorn launches startup competition for students

Popcorn company Propercorn are offering student entrepreneurs £7500 in investment

The reality of owning your own business is but a pipe dream for most students, particularly in this era of austerity and crippling university expenses. However, when graduates Cassandra Stavrou and Ryan Kohn founded Propercorn several years ago, they were able to get their idea off the ground with the invaluable help of business mentors; now, they’re offering the same to students.

Propercorn Platform is a brand new competition to empower the next generation of entrepreneurs to launch their big ideas into the stratosphere. Whether it’s a product, service, or beyond, Propercorn are inviting students and young people from all over the UK to submit their ideas to be in with the chance of winning their share of £7500, not to mention the mentorship they’ll need to get their idea up and running.

Figures show that more than half of people aged 16 – 25 want to set up their own business and become the next Steve Jobs or Arianna Huffington, so don’t be shy of juggling study, work, and play alongside sowing the seeds for a start up in your university years—around 25 per cent of students begin some kind of business venture during this time, which many young CEOs agree is the perfect opportunity to get those ideas flowing, and to utilise the vast network a university offers to spread the word.

With over 540000 startups launched in the UK in 2014, Propercorn hope to encourage even more students to make their ideas a reality, and create the next entrepreneurial generation. From the applications, 25 budding business owners will be handpicked to take part in a two-day workshop this summer, run by an incredible team of mentors, designers and marketing gurus. This will culminate with a pitch for each team to a panel of leading entrepreneurs from around the world, and three winners will be chosen to receive the grand prize, and be launched into the world of business.

Laura Fitzpatrick, a University of Manchester student and ambassador for the brand said: “When Cassandra and Ryan were starting up, they had crucial advice from Richard Reed of Innocent. In creating the Platform, Propercorn are using their industry experience as a successful start up to benefit young people with the right ideas, but a need for a push in the right direction.”

If you’ve got a business in mind, big or small, visit Propercorn.com to get started, and make your mark in the booming world of commerce. Follow @Propercorn on Twitter and use the hashtag #doneproperly to keep up with events and the latest news on the competition.