patrick-hinton

Club: High Hoops presents DJ Sprinkles

Sprinkles inspires an atmosphere of joyous community with some achingly beautiful deep house sounds

15th May

Roadhouse

“Music is usually one of the least interesting things about clubs” said Terre Thaemlitz aka DJ Sprinkles to The Guardian last year. She rails against faceless club culture, charging her music with sociological and psychological themes. Deep house musically, but in a philosophical sense as well.

It’s a special event, then, that High Hoops have booked the renowned DJ for the first time in Manchester. Sprinkles steps up at 1am and proceeds to inspire an atmosphere of joyous community to those assembled in Roadhouse with some achingly beautiful deep house sounds.

Selecting the likes of her Adultnapper remix ‘Low Point On High Ground (Rock Bottom mix)’, it’s not a set that inspires wild euphoric movement, and that’s the point. Instead, the piano chords resonate through the room, producing a more deep-rooted emotional connect.

The crowd is affected beyond sonically induced limb reflex, but that’s not to say this is lacking. Sprinkles’s selections are very danceable, punctuated by subtle but driving bass notes that keep the room moving.

Sprinkles maintains this atmosphere throughout her three hour set, marking tonight as one of the most unique clubbing experiences I’ve had.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZdVi9f20cg

Fat White Family’s Lias Saoudi is circling around the Post-Punk cul-de-sac

Now that Fat White family have returned with ‘Forgiveness Is Yours’, lead-singer Lias Saoudi has a lot more to say about post-punk, lyricism, and being a Londoner

Peter Bibby – Drama King: A tragic and unpredictable opus

Infusing the classic songwriting of Dylan and Springsteen with Australian wit and dive bar narratives, Peter Bibby’s latest album constantly surprises

Tenacious D live in Manchester: The metal bring the fire

Jack Black’s rock-comedy project Tenacious D stopped off in Manchester on their ‘Spicy Meatball’ tour, performing to 20,000 fans at the AO Arena

Sour Grapes Records’ ‘Meltchester’: Mancunion music community at its finest

Manchester’s own Sour Grapes Records brings Meltchester to town again at Projekts Skatepark