patrick-hinton

Club: High Hoops presents DJ Sprinkles

Sprinkles inspires an atmosphere of joyous community with some achingly beautiful deep house sounds

15th May

Roadhouse

“Music is usually one of the least interesting things about clubs” said Terre Thaemlitz aka DJ Sprinkles to The Guardian last year. She rails against faceless club culture, charging her music with sociological and psychological themes. Deep house musically, but in a philosophical sense as well.

It’s a special event, then, that High Hoops have booked the renowned DJ for the first time in Manchester. Sprinkles steps up at 1am and proceeds to inspire an atmosphere of joyous community to those assembled in Roadhouse with some achingly beautiful deep house sounds.

Selecting the likes of her Adultnapper remix ‘Low Point On High Ground (Rock Bottom mix)’, it’s not a set that inspires wild euphoric movement, and that’s the point. Instead, the piano chords resonate through the room, producing a more deep-rooted emotional connect.

The crowd is affected beyond sonically induced limb reflex, but that’s not to say this is lacking. Sprinkles’s selections are very danceable, punctuated by subtle but driving bass notes that keep the room moving.

Sprinkles maintains this atmosphere throughout her three hour set, marking tonight as one of the most unique clubbing experiences I’ve had.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZdVi9f20cg

Post-Punk: Why it needs to die, and what’s next

Having dominated the focus of alternative radio for several years, Post-Punk has reached peak saturation and must make way for something new

Tate McRae live in Manchester: A pop megastar in the making

At just 20 years old, pop sensation Tate McRae delivers an incredible live performance in Manchester for her THINK LATER world tour

Taylor Swift’s The Tortured Poets Department: The New Testament (Taylor’s Version)

For those who are willing to commit to the journey, The Tortured Poets Department is an indie-Swift Bible

Priya Ragu Live in Manchester: A genre blending masterclass at Night and Day

Swiss-Tamil artist Priya Ragu brought her powerful grooves to Night and Day, inspiring more than just music out of its audience