eva-katz

PDA: A hot topic

It’s getting hot in here… Eva Katz discusses PDA

PDA. It’s a bit like marmite really—you either love it or hate it. Although many of us (being quintessentially British) are left disgusted at the sight of others locking lips, there are a select few who can coo at the cuteness of a couple sharing a moment.

But when and where is PDA really acceptable? In some countries, an act as simple as a quick kiss could result in imprisonment. In numerous Middle Eastern countries, kissing is considered a public indecency, punishable by jail time. A young British couple were sentenced to “a month in prison with subsequent deportation” in 2010 following mere reports of them having kissed in a restaurant.

To us, the Middle East’s laws on public affection may seem a little farfetched, especially since even our twee society permits couples to demonstrate their love in subtle ways, such as hand-holding and hugging in public. Latin culture, on the other hand, celebrates passion in such a way that would make most Britons blush. You only have to enter a bar in Madrid to see that “embarrassment” or “shyness” are words that are seldom used.

“Who” is also a pretty important factor: Different people, different rules. In the presence of mutual friends, you can push out the boat a little; just make sure that you’re not making anybody feel left out. Rubbing your relationship in the face of a recently single friend is never a wise idea and will most likely result in some hostile feelings towards you and your lover. Acquaintances, on the other hand, are a big no no. Girls, especially, are often guilty of PDA when their other half is talking to an unknown female. Sure, it’s a quickfire way to fight off any competition, but it can often just result in some poor girl who was innocently trying to make friends at a party feel deeply uncomfortable.

At the end of the day, there are certain things that should remain confined to the bedroom; a couple expressing their mutual comfort and desire in public shouldn’t be shamed but rather celebrated. It’s a free country, after all. Just don’t be too surprised when an 80-year-old grandmother scowls at you both as if you’ve just been caught shoplifting.

Houseplant heaven: The best plants to brighten up your student home

With the RHS Urban Show coming to Manchester, we’ve found some of the best houseplants to enhance your student accommodation

Why is everybody obsessed with minimalism?

The minimalist way of life is everywhere – what can we learn when its meaning is so often repackaged as another consumer trend?

How to have a routine when you have so few contact hours

If you find yourself with few in-person contact hours and facing challenges in establishing a routine, here are some tips to enhance your daily productivity