georgie-hines

Preview: Action Palestine Event

University of Manchester’s Action Palestine are hosting a Palestinian cultural evening in aid of Interpal, a charity providing relief for Palestinians in need

The student-led society, Action Palestine, protest against the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and any British complicity. On their website they say they are “working through creative action to raise awareness, educate the public, inspire the world and above all effectively create a real impact.” This Monday will see them host their first event of the year, the Palestinian Cultural Evening

One of the more active charitable societies at the university, this event is one of several being held throughout the year. Past events to raise awareness have included film screenings, talks and workshops all aimed to educate about any misconceptions around the conflict and to promote equality and peace.

Monday’s cultural evening promises to be a celebration of Palestinian lifestyle and culture, starting with traditional sit down meal interspersed with performances from the Yemeni Entertainment Group, Tripudiate, Manchester’s own Countz, and 47SOUL, a group formed from artists spanning many regions of Palestine.

Also performing at the event is Ameena Atiq, whose work as a spoken artist lead to her presence at the Liverpool Arab Arts Festival 2015. Her work touches on many subjects important in modern Arabian society, such as dual nationality and women’s rights. Speaking about her work in an interview earlier this year with The Skinny, she said “if we knew more about our own history, we’d understand more about the issues we are facing today.”

As a non-profit society, all proceeds from the evening will go to Interpal; a British charity working predominately on the West Bank, Gaza Strip, and refugee camps in Lebanon and Jordan. Over the past 20 years the charity has restored communities, provided education and supplied emergency medical attention to those caught in the ongoing conflict.

The event is to be held on Monday the 19th of October from 6 – 10pm at The University of Manchester Students’ Union. It is open to the whole university, but due to high demand for places only ticket holders will be allowed at the event.

Get to know: Who is Professor Duncan Ivison?

Nancy Rothwell is stepping down – who exactly is her replacement?