eva-katz

Death by burrito

Eva Katz will leave you lusting after the burn of Luck, Lust, Liquor & Burn’s delectable burrito delights

As Almost Famous’s sister restaurant, Luck, Lust, Liquor and Burn has some big shoes to fill. Tex Mex with a filthy Mancunian twist—the menu is overloaded with mouth-watering dishes, from burgers to burritos that you’ll be spoilt for choice over. The decor, based on Hunter S. Thompson’s book, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, has a grungy, Mexican vibe. Whilst the red festoon lighting creates the ambience of a bar even with daylight streaming through the windows, graffiti-decorated panels cover its walls, creating a sense of chaos; yet there is a harmony between each and every aspect. Nothing looks out of place. From the bar stools to the sticker-covered fridges, they all fit in with the theme.

Food envy here is inevitable. This festival of meat encompasses all the brilliant reasons for the marriage that is Tex Mex. Whatever you order, there will be at least two other options that came close runners-up. My companion, Rosie, and I ordered the Bacon Wrapped Jalapeños to start. Blinded by choice and hunger, we did not scan the menu with adequate scrutiny to be tempted by the many other delectable options. So when the ‘Easy Rider’ starter sharing platter arrived at our neighbouring table, it had barely been put down before Rosie blurted “CAN WE GET ‘CHICKEN BLASTS’ PLEASE?!” And thus, our order grew.

Upon arrival of our food, we were practically clapping with joy. The sheer size of Rosie’s ‘Big Easy’ left me wondering how on earth such a small person could consume that much burrito as, I quote “it’s the size of my face!” An advert-worthy Big Mac Meal (chips and all) all rolled into one with some cheesy goodness and a little spice to boot, this burrito is definitely more Tex than Mex.

Now to give you an idea of the experience that was the Hawaiian BBQ chicken blasts (also available with a spicy sauce)… Upon tasting these boneless strips, drowned in a sumptuous sticky Hawaiian BBQ sauce and accompanied by sour cream, Rosie—a self professed chicken connoisseur—reacted with: “I like to think I know what’s good but these are great!” The ‘Bacon Wrapped Jalapeños’ didn’t go down too badly either. Resembling green pigs in blankets, these oddly felt healthier than the fried alternatives; however, shoving an entire morsel into your mouth at once is not recommended, even if the action does result in a spicy, tangy, salty taste explosion.

As indecisive as ever, I selected the F Bomb, a half-and-half burrito designed for the fussy eaters of the world. One half dirty chicken and one half crispy beef, it was the perfect combination. The chicken half took the role of a light partner to its rich beefy sibling. If you’re not a spice lover, then the F Bomb may not be for you—and that’s coming from somebody who drizzles tabasco over her scrambled eggs in the morning. I was forced to alternate between each half, using the ‘cooling ranch’ sauce to douse the fire in my mouth. For those more adventurous punters, I would recommend the Taco Roulette, a sharing platter containing a selection of tacos with one taco drenched in hot sauce, this dish will be sure to blow somebody’s mind.

But be warned, Luck, Lust, Liquor and Burn is certainly not the spot you want to choose for a quick bite to eat, but rather the kind of place where you’d choose to miss the meal before to leave more room for a cheeky side. The sole downside to this establishment is the tongue-twisting riddle of its name, which makes it difficult to recommend verbally without sufficient practice (it took me roughly eight times to get it right).

Luck, Lust, Liquor & Burn,
100-102 High St,
Manchester
M4 1HP

Brunch at Santé: A slice of sun

Santé offers the perfect spot for a sunny al fresco brunch, topped off with student-budget friendly deals and a brilliantly Mediterranean inspired menu

Giving ‘Too Good To Go’ a go!

Is ‘Too Good To Go’ the sustainable, money saving app that students need to download?