• MBS students’ Student Nucleus reaches finals of Grad Factor

charlie-spargo

MBS students’ Student Nucleus reaches finals of Grad Factor

The Student Nucleus is down to the final 12 to win a set of incredible opportunities to grow their business

The Student Nucleus, an online platform allowing students to find information about accommodation, books, internships, scholarships and skills in one place, has been announced as a Grad Factor finalist.

The startup, which is the brainchild of two Manchester Business School students, has been named as one of the final three to win a Best Social Enterprise award.

The winners of each of the four sections will win prizes invaluable to a business getting underway—dedicated PR service, tickets to The Millionaire Business School, six sessions of free bespoke mentoring with RBS or NatWest, an iPad, and more.

“We are really excited to be through to the finals of The Grad Factor,” says co-founder and CEO Martin Hedley. “To have made it to the final three of the social enterprise category for a nationwide student business competition is fantastic recognition of all our hard work and a great motivation for our team.

“We have come so far in such a short space of time, from just an idea in my head, to now having already won two awards and with a great chance to make it a hat-trick with The Grad Factor.

“At the final we will be giving a five-minute televised presentation, it will a great opportunity to showcase our platform and the vision we have for making student life as simple as possible. We want to replicate the success we have had in Manchester across every university.

“The exposure we have already received because of the prestige of the competition has been a great boost to our growth. To win the overall competition will be fantastic.”

The Student Nucleus is still very young, but has already made an impact on the business world. They have won the ‘Do It For Real’ award from UnLtd. This means that they have been given funding to find a student entrepreneur of their choice who is also starting a social enterprise, and the winner of the competition will receive mentoring by the Student Nucleus team.

Mayor’s Question Time: Andy Burnham faces questions from Manchester students

On September 29 Andy Burnham, the Mayor of Greater Manchester, answered student’s questions at a Question Time event, with issues ranging from transport and housing to the monarchy and devolution
Exclusive: SU secures £360,000 in funding to help with cost-of-living crisis

Exclusive: The SU has announced £360,000 in funding from the University of Manchester to help students with the cost-of-living crisis
Greater Manchester Student Assembly petition for £1.50 cap on student bus fares

Five student unions in the Greater Manchester area, collectively called the Greater Manchester Student Assembly, have written to Andy Burnham, the Mayor of Greater Manchester, to petition him for a £1.50 cap on public transport for students.
Oversubscription leads to quarter-million pound pay-out for Manchester freshers

Oversubscription has caused over 100 University of Manchester freshers to take £2500 pay-outs from the University to live in Liverpool as the demand for Halls of Residence exceeds the supply.