jenny-sterne

Preview: Mancunion Live

Mancunion Live will see student representatives from each political party go head to head to discuss the key issues facing students and society today
Preview: Mancunion Live

During the first week back this term The Mancunion, in association with the Manchester Media Group, is hosting the first-ever Mancunion Live event on Wednesday, February the 3rd. The event will be held from 7pm in the University of Manchester Students’ Union Council Chambers.

The event will be an opportunity to meet the students who represent each political party on campus, and for the first time witness them go head to head in what will no doubt be a lively debate. It will also be a rare chance to put your questions to them, and learn about how they are working within the national political frame at a student level.

Representatives from all the student political societies will go head to head to debate the key issues facing society and young people today.  The panel members will be from Conservative Future, Manchester Labour Students, UKIP Students, Young Greens and Liberal Youth Manchester.

The event, the first of its kind for the The Mancunion, will follow the style of BBC’s Question Time, with the role of Dimbleby being taken on by our two Features Editors Joe Evans and Liam Kelly.

The panel will tackle the main political issues which have dominated student politics in recent months such as safe space, maintenance grants and junior doctors. They will then also open the discussion up to the topics shaping national political debate such as the EU referendum, responses to terrorism, the housing crisis, intervention in Syria, refugees and each political party’s response to IS.

Students will also have a chance to question the representatives of each student political society in an audience-led question and answer session. The floor will be open to students to respond to anything discussed in the panel debate or for them to raise their own issues, not addressed already by the panel.

In order to secure a place in the audience students should email [email protected] with their name, age, university, course, the political party you would vote for in the event of a general election tomorrow and finally two questions you would like to see addressed by the panel.

You have until January the 28th to apply to join the audience and successful applicants will be contacted after this date.

Fuse TV will be filming the whole event and the footage will be available to view after the night on their YouTube channel.

Full coverage and analysis of the event will also be available on our website and within the following print issue of The Mancunion so be sure to pick up a copy.

Teenager murders 19 children in Texas School Shooting

On Robb Elemetary’s last day before summer break, a teenage gunman entered the school, murdering 14 children and one teacher.