aliya-ismangil

World Mental Health Day 2016

A preview of what’s happening on campus for World Mental Health Day 2016

Monday 10th of October is World Mental Health Day and the brand new group Manchester Open Minds Network are running a range of activities to get involved with from 9.30am until 7pm.

I spoke to Laura Grant, a member of the committee to find out a bit more about them: “We wanted to create something that will be a supportive network for students who might be struggling with mental health difficulties and also to educate people to improve mental health wellbeing, and reduce stigma,” she said.

World Mental Health Day will kick off the group’s student engagement, with a packed day that everyone can get involved in. The day starts with free tea and coffee at the ‘Time to Change Coffee’ morning at 9.30am. Laura said, “We’ll provide topics of conversation…if [people] haven’t thought about mental health before or if they really want to talk about it and are passionate about it they can just sit down and have a discussion about it.”

From 11am there’ll be a marquee outside University Place packed with stalls from various local mental health organisations where you can find ways to get involved or get help. Included are the Yoga and Meditation Society that will be running taster sessions. And if that’s not your bag, there’ll be boxing pads from the Boxing Society to vent out any frustration safely. “We’re also going to have a ‘Draw the Line’ event,” Laura continued, where you decide whether something is okay or crossing the line by physically placing the statement along a line. Still not convinced? Laura told us exclusively: “We’re gonna have a bouncy castle!” If that doesn’t give you a reason to go, I don’t know what will.

The day will finish with a Mental Health panel, “Keeping Happy, Healthy Minds” where you can find out more about maintaining mental health and wellbeing or ask any burning questions. You’ll find it at University Place, Room 5.206, 6-7pm.

You can find out more details about World Mental Health Day at The University of Manchester on the Manchester Open Minds Network Facebook page where you’ll find the event post. Be sure to follow them on Instagram too, as they’ll be posting throughout the day!

Mindfulness around Christmas

The joys of Christmas are not always felt by everyone. For some, this time of year can be especially hard. So, here is why its important to look after yourself, practise self-care, and have a more mindful Christmas time

Your guide to Manchester’s Christmas Markets

The Lifestyle section gives you our rundown of Manchester’s Christmas Markets, with all our festive top picks, in locations such as Piccadilly Gardens, Market Street, and St Ann’s Square

Handling a Hangover (the Scandinavian way)

A trip to Copenhagen reformed my world view on how to handle a hangover. Scandinavian girls just seem to have got it. So how do British girls get it too?

Empowerment through language: Stop putting yourself down

With Reclaim the Night in mind, the Lifestyle section has decided to unpack how the language we use to address ourselves and others has the power to change our outlook from self-doubt to self-confidence