hannah-brierley

The Venue Want To Create a ‘New Legacy’

Music Editor Hannah Brierley discusses the radical changes that have been made to The Venue

It has been just over a year since The Venue changed management. While previous opinions of the club have been mixed, it has recently managed to attract some attention; this year, their freshers’ week was the biggest and busiest they have ever had, with over 5,000 students coming through the doors.

The club, which is located on Jackson’s Row, was previously only thought of as the other indie club. But it appears it has gone through puberty, so to speak, and has come out the other side re-established and independent — or should I say indie-pendent…

It’s now complete with its very own photo booth to print those drunken memories you want to keep forever, and a retro street fighter game which you can play while your friends get in the next round. However, you won’t be waiting too long, as they have opened a second ‘Voodoo Lounge’ bar inside, meaning you can get those jäger shots quicker than ever before.

As if that wasn’t enough, they have designed a chilled ‘nan’s living room’, a place where you can sit and chat with your friends without having to endure the pouring rain and cigarette clouds of the smoking area. And if sitting around and having a chin wag isn’t your cup of tea, maybe you want to go have a boogie; the whole music and lighting system has had a complete re-vamp too, including CO2 blasts, confetti canons, and strobe lighting, making sure your night out is as exciting as possible with new experiences and things to discover around every corner.

Photo: Phil Tragen

It has to be said, the new management’s efforts have really shined through. And as well as all the improvements they have already made, there are constantly new ideas in the pipeline.

Whether it be: Indie-pendence on a Saturday, Jamming on a Wednesday, Feeling Thirsty on a Thursday or You’re Living Forever on a Friday, the Venue has made sure that there is something for everybody.

But don’t take my word for it, grab a red stripe and see for yourself. We’ve blagged free entry for all readers before midnight until the 27th October, just mention The Mancunion on your way in!

Photos: Phil Tragen

Live review: the Vamps bring a night of singalong hits to Manchester’s O2 Apollo

The British boyband return to Manchester as part of their tenth anniversary world tour
Tkay Maidza writes a love letter to New York in ‘Nights In December’ 

The Australian artist’s new Christmas single breaks away from overdone festive formulas
ABBA Voyage: As Good As New?

ABBA Voyage: As Good As New?

ABBA Voyage encapsulates the nostalgia of a band who have soundtracked many of our lives. But do holograms compare to the real thing?
Live review: Wet Leg at O2 Ritz, Manchester

Wet Leg return to Manchester on a victory lap in support of their Grammy-nominated debut