sophie-boyd

Indian tech company create 80 new jobs in MediaCityUK

Manchester-India Partnership will see Tech Mahindra establish an office in Manchester creating 80 new jobs, boosting trade and investment
Photo: Hilverd Reker @ Wikimedia Commons

Tech Mahindra, the Mumbai-based IT and networking company will establish a new branch in MediaCityUK later this year, launching an innovation and digital office, creating 80 jobs.

The Manchester-India Partnership (MIP) is part of Greater Manchester’s Internationalisation Strategy. This partnership will boost trade and investment whilst developing business opportunities, as well as the creation of direct flights between Manchester and Indian Cities.

During the introduction of this partnership at the House of Commons, the union was described as: “make in India, innovate with Manchester.”

The CEO of Manchester Airport, Andrew Cowan, is to chair this organisation and which will have dedicated staff in Delhi, Bangalore, and Manchester. “Forging closer relationships with the world’s most important markets is key to the future prosperity of Manchester,” says Cowan.

This move parallels Manchester’s relationship with China, which also saw the introduction of flights between Manchester and Beijing. This has already generated £138m into Manchester’s visitor economy in just one year. It is expected that the Manchester-Indian Partnership will echo this.

Direct air routes have proved to increase investment and research collaborations in Manchester. This is only set to increase, with Manchester Airport already being the sixth-largest European air link to India.

Other Indian companies have already invested in the region, including 42Gears, Hero Cycles, and HCL. Strategic partnerships with local universities have also been set up, leading to an increase in Manchester’s appeal to Indian students, tourists, and researchers.

Deputy mayor of Greater Manchester for Economic Growth and Business, Sir Richard Leese, said: “Manchester city region is famed for being at the forefront of industry, and continues to be a competitive destination for international investors.”

“There’s probably never been more attention on the economic relationship between the UK and India, as India undertakes significant market reforms and the UK prepares to leave the EU. It’s time, therefore, to put the spotlight on the huge contribution which Indian businesses make to the British economy,” says David Landsman, Chair of the CII India Business Forum.

Greater Manchester Mayoral Hustings held at the Students’ Union

Ahead of the Mayoral election on May 2, the Students’ Union held Mayoral hustings where candidates made their case to students